• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Pic a day....

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
...and endless haze from fires in the western US and Canada, this summer is uninspiring.
Well, we are sending you some nice orange sunsets, aren't we? :rolleyes:

The Bootleg Fire to our north east has been burning for two weeks now, is currently at 388,359 acres and is only 30% contained. And since we probably won't see any rain here until late September, it has a very good chance of growing to become the largest fire in U.S. history. Fortunately for us here in Ashland, the prevailing winds have been blowing most of the smoke away from us. But when the winds die down and the smoke drifts back our way...

94822_1_19CLI-FIREWEATHER-vid1_wg_720p.mp4

Brownie

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Tim

The Bootleg Fire to our north east has been burning for two weeks now, is currently at 388,359 acres and is only 30% contained. And since we probably won't see any rain here until late September, it has a very good chance of growing to become the largest fire in U.S. history. Fortunately for us here in Ashland, the prevailing winds have been blowing most of the smoke away from us. But when the winds die down and the smoke drifts back our way...

And sunrises, and moonsets, and moonrises. One would tend to think that those with cameras would be outside trying to take advantage.

One would be wrong.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob

I know things are bad many places. That video looks pretty nasty. The way the jet stream is set these days, I am probably getting some of that very smoke.

Actually, the smoke is obscuring so much that you really cannot see the sunset or clouds or much of anything in the sky. Does not look blue either. Some evenings there must be no clouds because you can directly look at the sun, just an orange ball that eventually disappears under what must be the horizon, though you cannot really see that either. Other days must have clouds because you cannot see anything. If we did actually get some rain, I think it might improve for a day then the smoke would be back.

To stay slightly on topic, here is a cell phone pic taken at a friends place a few days ago. (I don't normally do non-Sony pics here because guidelines, but this is all I have.) The phone can do better I did a poor job and I think the quick resize did a number with digital artifacts and the sun is blown out instead of orange, but... that's the sun about 20 minutes before sunset. No problem looking straight at it with the naked eye.

20210717_210222a.jpg
SM-A716V    ---            

OK, I'll stop whining now. Back to your regular nice "pic a day". :)

Kmac76

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
Birds on the back deck… a6600 & 24-240
801C7287-E221-4601-8C69-DAB88BFDB0D5.jpeg
ILCE-6600    FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS    187mm    f/6.3    1/320s    ISO 1000

fractal

Super Moderator
Real Name
Chris
DSC09838-X3.jpg
ILCE-7RM2    SAMYANG AF 35mm F2.8    35mm    f/2.8    1/250s    ISO 100

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Unfortunately seconds after this shot the horse spooked and threw my wife, resulting in a five day hospital stay, a cracked vertebrae, and severely bruised ribs. View attachment 115945
When you posted the picture before this one of the horse, I was going to say 'That horse doesn't look too happy to me', but I didn't want to say anything since I'm not a horse person. Sorry to hear about your wife and her injuries. Do you know what spooked the horse? I notice that its ears are 'on alert' in this shot, where as in the other they are in what I would call a 'don't bother me mood' stance.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Unfortunately seconds after this shot the horse spooked and threw my wife, resulting in a five day hospital stay, a cracked vertebrae, and severely bruised ribs. View attachment 115945
Oh heck, how horrible. Wishing her well. Hope she can can get back in the saddle soon: it's obviously very important to her.

Brownie

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Tim
Not a particularly great shot and not a Sony, but this is pretty cool. It's the first Roseate Spoonbill ever sighted in Michigan. It showed up in a nearby town and has been the subject of news articles for a week or so. There are always a lot of photographers along the road, they've even had awnings and traffic control on weekends. It was first thought that the bird may have escaped from a zoo, but after checking they now think it just flew up here.

This is a huge crop, it was over 200 yards away. Some of the others photographers said that there have been better photo ops on previous days, so I'll keep checking back and hope it gets closer.

51330849811_1e9ffc2b57_b.jpg
   ---            
P1074610 by telecast, on Flickr

Latest threads

Top Bottom