Pic a day....

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 II ASPH

TedG954

Super Moderator
Real Name
Ted Gersdorf

DaveC

TalkEmount Veteran

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Regular
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
I live on a small lake (actually a storm retention pond) and we have a population of geese which varies from time to time, season to season..... My condo unit is right on the lakefront so I can step out on my deck and fire away (with a camera and lens) at these guys, which I've happily done for many years. We also have had Hooded Mergansers for the last couple of winters, plus throughout the year there is also an occasional GBH. I have yet to capture the GBH with my 200-600mm but am eagerly waiting for that opportunity.

Until November of 2019 I had been using the Sony RX10 IV for about a year-and-a-half (love that camera!) and had been appreciating the reach that I could get with it, as I didn't have any lens with my (now former) Nikon gear that was anywhere near that long.... So, yeah, I was spoiled. Kind of..... Once I got the A7R IV it was only a matter of time until one day early in January I was out on the deck shooting the birdies with the RX10 IV while the lovely new A7R IV and wonderful new macro lenses relaxed inside the house. As I was focusing and firing away, I was thinking, "This RX IV and its 600mm reach (equiv) and 1-inch sensor are great, but.....I could get much more detailed, better photos with my A7R IV and one of those really nice really rather reasonably-priced 200-600mm lenses...." Ding-Ding!!!! Wasn't long after that until I had a 200-600 of my very own in the house! (Ah, GAS, it gets us every time, doesn't it?!)

I'll admit, though, that it is far, far easier for me to wield the comparatively lightweight RX10 IV and flip it all around than it is the combo of the A7R IV and 200-600mm lens! Building up some muscles now, that's for sure! I CAN handhold the lens, but not for very long. I have realized for some time that I need to be getting myself a Wimberley Gimbal to put on the tripod to use with that lens, as this will make things significantly easier for me, more flexible in terms of quickly responding to movements of the birds in the water or in the air, etc., and of course not just at home shooting from my own deck. Just haven't done that yet, and instead have been depending on the deck railing to offer some support while shooting. In this instance, the goose was very close, not quite under my deck but nearly so, which gave me some good practice in zooming in-and-out to get to what I decided would be the right composition, which was a no-brainer once I heard him and spotted that tongue coming out.....

Last edited:

DaveC

TalkEmount Veteran

TedG954

Super Moderator
Real Name
Ted Gersdorf

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
February in Michigan.

sven karma

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
mark evans

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
A6000 and 28mm Sigma

cheeks69

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Robert

Latest posts

Top Bottom