Photography with family in tow

Discussion in 'Coffee Bar' started by davegore2005, Nov 24, 2013.

1. davegore2005

davegore2005 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    We all went into Liverpool yesterday for some family time and to see the new hunger games, and to try my new lens I had been bursting to try, but does anyone else share my pain regarding photography with family in tow??

For some reason the eldest (14) thinks I bring embarrassment in spades otherwise never known anytime I bring the camera out to shoot anything that has caught my eye, and asking the usually quite photogenic youngest (9) if I can even include her in a shot is faced with an enormous roll of the eyes, heaven forbid if I was to ask the wife.....

Anyone got any solutions, short of literally leaving them all here and heading out on my own??

Dave

2. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Well as we know, 14 is a 'difficult age' when nothing that adults do is in the least bit 'cool'...... I was an adult instructor with the Royal British Legion for 10 years teaching young musicians. Although I taught brass players I also got several interested in making good photos by literally pushing a camera into their hands and asking them to shoot some 'promotional shots'....showing them some large and well produced prints helped enormously!

Remember that kids that age are always highly bored and frustrated almost by definition and they will respond to your giving them something interesting to get their teeth into....actually, the mid teens are like sponges when you supply the right info and demand high standards as they tend to rise to a challenge and greatly need your praise and enthusiasm since they get very little at school now.

So, get your eldest involved aand show him/her how to get results...the younger one will be more than happy to pose once she gets the idea that the older one is interested.

• Like Like x 1
  3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Haha my daughter hasn't quite reached that age (she's about... oh 19 months now) but I do remember being a teenager (vaguely) and thinking what an embarrassment Dad was wanting to shoot EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME when I was about that age. Funny enough, I have almost no photos of that age today - about 13-15. I guess if my Dad had gotten us kids into photography around that age we'd probably have had a different opinion - but I think he felt his cameras and film were too precious to let us try :p In this digital age with cameras on cellphones and everywhere, there's much less excuses and I would definitely aim to involve my daughter when she comes of age... I guess as a way to have some fun with her while also having fun myself (there's only so many dolls you can play with before it gets old... shocking I know)...

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Way to go really if you ask me. Nobody in my family is prepared to put up with waiting until I finish shooting. When I see something, I want to explore the subject and that takes time, so I like do that by myself without having others harassing me to continue walking/riding/whatever. As for picturing family members, my children have reached the age of 27 and 25 now, and occasionally I get to take pictures of them without them protesting. Sometimes they even ask to get their picture taken. Even a few years ago I couldn't take a camera in my hands without discontempt from their side. At one point in time I got totally fed up with all the noise and I simply stopped taking family pictures. I rarely do it these days and mostly when explicitly asked to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    What no pictures:rolleyes:

I too have the same dilemma. They just don't understand the desire to take a lot of pictures. :rolleyes:

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I have nothing to offer but this: surrender. Don't try to get your family involved with your hobby. In fact, don't get anyone else involved, unless they are the ones asking to be included. If you keep trying, it will only force them to dig in their heels even deeper, and they'll begin to dread the sight of your camera bag.

If you enjoy shooting pictures of them, try to pick and choose the spots where you may be able to get good candid shots of them without imposing on them to "go pose in front of..." Once they see the results, they may become slightly more willing to go along. But asking someone else to basically act as your model, or tag along while you get to have all the fun playing with your camera is asking a bit too much of most people.

And if the whole point of having a camera for you is to take pictures of your family, just come to terms with the fact that though they resent you now for doing it, years from now they will be grateful that you preserved those memories.

But if, like me and Ad, you just enjoy shooting, and don't necessarily need to have them in the frame, find the time to get off on your own and enjoy your hobby in solitude. That's eventually where I landed, and it has allowed me to take my time and enjoy myself, rather than feeling anchored to a bunch of people I love, but who would really rather be doing anything but this.

7. davegore2005

davegore2005 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    I think the biggest issue is a combination of some of your replies...it's not an age thing, teenage wise for my son, or posing for the shot, for my daughter...it's just the fact I have a camera around my neck and occasionally stop, which in turn means they have to stop too.....I have given up asking them to pose, and would never dream of asking them now anyway, but as Ad says, on my own may well be the way to go.....

keep the opinions coming

Dave

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have two styles of shooting

1- When I am on my own, I usually grab a manual lens, set up in one of the manual modes, stop whenever I see something to shoot and often take several minutes to compose a shot.

2- When I am on a family outing or party I take one of my Auto Focusing lenses, and set the camera in one of the preset modes. I try and not linger too long, or take too many pictures. I'm there primarily as a family member, enjoying the family time. That does not mean I am not thinking about taking pictures, nor try not to take the best I can, just that this is not my focus.