Photographers "block"

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by marquus, Sep 1, 2011.

1. marquus

marquus New to TalkEmount

Sep 1, 2011
    I often have a hard time visualizing the photographs I'd like to make. What works for me to get out of the slump is either (very rarely) getting a new piece of equipment, or more commonly, dusting off an old piece and having fun with it. What works for others?
  2. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    First off, welcome to the forum. Second this an excellent question. I think my first instinct whenever I get into a slump is to look for a new piece of gear whether it be a lens or filter or a piece of software. Anything new that I have to learn to use and use well gets my creative juices flowing. It works, but it is not cheap and sometimes just isn't feasible. Therefore, many times I take on a project. Sometimes it is a project to take a photo a day for a week or month, or a project to take images of a similar style or subject matter. The challenge of fulfilling these projects usually gets me going again and is certainly cheaper than buying new gear.
  3. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    Put the camera away and stop worrying about it. Work on my back catalogue of old images. Look at lots of other images from photographers I admire. Visit photography galleries. Enjoy looking at the world without worrying how to turn it into pictures. Sooner or later I'll start shooting again.