1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photographer Giles Duley on his return to Afghanistan (article from the Observer)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by applemint, Feb 10, 2013.

1. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
  2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Dang, just read this straight through, sobbing every line of it.

3. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    People please read this and watch the video interview. Incredible story, incredible man. Don't shy off of this.

4. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    Heartbreaking but a worthwhile read. It definitely puts the human element into those stories that we've become so used to reading about in the news.

5. applemint

Sep 20, 2012
    The Channel 4 programme mentioned in the article is now on 4OD (Channel 4 On Demand) for those in the UK (or those outside who know how to use a proxy server ;) ) Walking Wounded: Return to the Frontline - 4oD - Channel 4

There is also some background info on the film here: Walking Wounded: Return to the Frontline - Features - The Full Story - Channel 4 as well as an interview which focuses (no pun intended!) mainly on the photography aspect: Walking Wounded: Return to the Frontline - Features - Interview with Giles Duley - Channel 4

6. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Dang, I don't know how to use a proxy server. Any simple procedure to view from the link you provided whlle on the continent ?

7. applemint

Sep 20, 2012
    Try the Channel 4 youtube channel: [video=youtube;thjGoy3CZkQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thjGoy3CZkQ[/video]

(or via 4oD Documentaries - YouTube and search for Frontline)

If that does not work you can try a UK VPN but I don't know any which do a free trial - only paid ones eg: UK Proxy Server - UK VPN Server | Buy a British IP Address

These 2 sites do a free 1 week trial (I used them for watching US Netflix from the UK - (legally, as Netflix allows this if you are a Netflix subscriber) but I am not sure if you can set them up to watch UK services from outside the UK - you might be I just haven't had a look as obviously I have no need for such a service:

Unblock-Us - smarter faster VPN
    UnoDNS™ Gold free trial - 100% Gold Experience

P.S, Be aware that it is quite gruesome and shows the immediate aftermath of his injuries (in the medevac helicopter right near the beginning of the programme - wasn't expecting to see that) and also a few brief scenes of surgery - that said I am quite squeamish and I was fine with it - but just a heads up. It's also quite harrowing/emotional in parts but I guess that's fairly obvious from the article in the first post. One to watch when you can sit down for an hour and pay full attention to it and are in the right frame of mind if you know what I mean. Well worth watching though although it's not primarily about photography of course that's just a sub text...