Photo Trip - Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
So on Thursday, I'm driving up to Munising in the upper peninsula, from which I will be doing my annual photo tour of fall colors, waterfalls and lighthouses. I finally decided on my kit for the trip. I'll be taking my Sony A7Rii, and three lenses. The FE 16-35/4, the FE 55/1.8 and the FE 70-300/f4. Along with the other crap I need - a tripod, filters, batteries, etc. If I want to do interval shots I'm going to use the built in apps, which I've decided aren't getting enough use.

Don't expect any uploads from the trip, internet access up there is pretty spotty. You'll hear from me next Tuesday at the earliest.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Sounds like a fun trip Rae. Look forward to seeing your pictures when you return.

MWhite

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
I'm envious. We were there this summer and had a wonderful time. -IF- you need a place to stay (and I hope I'm not violating a rule here - this is only on an unsolicited recommendation), we would highly recommend Pictured Rocks Bed & Breakfast. JoAnn was incredibly nice and made whatever you wanted how you wanted it. Apparently they host a bunch of ice climbers in the winter. FYI, her internet was not bad - elsewhere, not so great.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Thanks for the recommendation, it looks lovely. Unfortunately I already have a hotel reserved.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
I am back from my trip, and literally have a thousand pics to sort to process. Unfortunately, the fall colors weren't really popping and the weather didn't really cooperate either. But i had a great time, and saw two more falls and Lake of the Clouds. I'll post pics as I gradually get them processed.

I had great fun driving over Mighty Mac in this fog. Especially since there was construction on the bridge.

Canyon Falls:

Bond Falls:

More to come. Plus some commentary about selfie culture.

addieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
I am back from my trip, and literally have a thousand pics to sort to process. Unfortunately, the fall colors weren't really popping and the weather didn't really cooperate either. But i had a great time, and saw two more falls and Lake of the Clouds. I'll post pics as I gradually get them processed.

I had great fun driving over Mighty Mac in this fog. Especially since there was construction on the bridge.

View attachment 105243
Like this one.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
I loved Lake of the Clouds. The problem was there were so many people. I had to wait 20 minutes for this crowd of them to clear out so I could get the "classic" shot. So I took a shot of them, to record the experience. Oh, and my camera and tripod almost got blown over the edge. It's very windy up there.

_DSC3064.jpg

There were also *these* people there. Note: Behind that wall she's balancing on, there's a three foot ledge, then a thousand foot drop. I show the cliff in the next picture.

20191006-_DSC3061.jpg

Not Classic Lake of the Clouds shots:

_DSC3002.jpg

20191006-_DSC2938.jpg

20191006-_DSC2981.jpg

Attachments

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Not to sound like the grumpy old man I am, but regarding the girl on the wall - and it's windy? :eek:
People regularly die from doing stupid stunts like that. A "cool picture" is not worth potentially throwing your life away.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
I'd really like to go backpacking up there next year. Set up at either end, photograph a sunrise/sunset and do some astro. If you're very lucky, you might be able to see the northern lights, too.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Miscellaneous pics from my trip:

Pink sand on a beach just outside of Munising. That's Grand Island in the distance.

My best pic of an eagle so far. He was pretty far away, so this is an extreme crop, but the A7RII + FE 70-300 G did a good job.

Interesting...stuff...growing on this tree.

New 510 bridge from the old 510 bridge.

A photogenic abandoned church.

Railroad, river and power lines.

Taquamenon Falls.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom