1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Photo Tour of MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by ilovehatephotography, Jun 2, 2014.

1. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    I took an early morning stroll today through the world famous Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). It is just across the Harvard Bridge, about a 30min walk or a 10min bike ride from me, in Cambridge, Massachusetts. I thought I'd give everyone a photo tour of its high-tech campus.

The Stata Center, designed by Pritzker Prize architect Frank Gehry, opened in 2004. It is the home of the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL), the Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems (LIDS), and the Department of Linguistics and Philosophy.

dsc00466.

dsc00459.

dsc00474.

dsc00477.

dsc00448.

dsc00470.

dsc00469.

dsc00479.

dsc00489.

MIT Media Lab, designed by Pritzker Price architect I.M. Pei (better known for the Louvre glass pyramids and the Bank of China tower in Hong Kong), open in 1985. It is home to host the List Visual Arts Center, the School of Architecture and Planning’s Program in Art, Culture and Technology (ACT), and MIT’s Program in Comparative Media Studies.

dsc00492.

I noticed this bicycle repair station next to its entrance. Cool idea.

dsc00504.

The Department of Chemical Engineering on the left, connected by a sky walk to MIT Biology.

dsc00512.

Heading north on Ames St.

dsc00516.

dsc00520.

Up the road on Ames St. and Main St. is the David H. Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research. They had a public gallery that displayed scanning electron microscope artworks.

dsc00521.

dsc00527.

dsc00531.

Hope you guys enjoyed the photos. Check out the full-res versions here.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 11
  2. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Nice photo tour!! :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Some neat shots.

I LOVE when building architects don't just build square buildings.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Haha, that's some funky stuff. Well seen and captured. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That's some interesting architecture that I'd never seen - Very nice photos and thanks for the tour ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Thanks guys! Wish my Canon FD 20mm came in the mail before the shoot, but I think the 35mm held its own. Just gotta take a few dozen steps back haha :)

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

7. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Now I need to go see this for myself...

Will my 20mm f/2.8 with UWA converter (will be 15mm) be wide enough? :confused:
    This is on the A6000, so cropped...not FF.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Your 20mm on a 1.5x crop APS-C camera would yield a 30mm full-frame equivalent. The shots above are taken with a 35mm lens, so you will get a wider field of view.

If the Ultra Wide Angle converter will make your lens into a 15mm, that would be 22.5mm on a full-frame. This is very wide, good enough for most architectural shots imo.

So, you'll have no problems at all. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Thanks for the lesson! :eek:
    I'm sure even the 16-50mm kit lens will be capable as long as there is good lighting.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Yes, you're right. I literally went there at the crack of dawn so there was soft morning light. That's also why you don't see any people in the photos :p

11. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Great shots of some very interesting architecture. If only more architectures and developers/builders would be more open minded.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    My visit won't be "that" early...:D

• Like Like x 1
  13. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    I agree. Artistic controversy usually means breaking the mould and pushing the limits of our sensibilities.

Then again, I should take pictures of Boston's ghastly city hall (brutalist architecture). It looks like Hitler's bunker...
    539w.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ironic that Faneuil Hall is right behind that. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Totally, what a contrast!

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

16. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Exactely! First time I've been to Boston I was like "what the heck?" It looks like communist building from Staline era LOL the rest of Boston is so pretty, this building is like a zit on the nose LOL (french phrase)

My flickr: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/118310489@N03/

• Like Like x 1
  17. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    I think the risk with ultra wide focals is that you'll have more buildings distorsions. The solution are tilt-shift lenses but they're very expensive. It is justified to buy one if you do a lot of architectural photography. As those buildings are not that high, I think I would stick to 16-20mm, so 24-35mm on FF equivalent.

My flickr: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/118310489@N03/

• Like Like x 2
  18. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    I was thinking the same thing when I was shooting at MIT, "boy, wouldn't it be nice if I had a tilt-shift lens so the buildings wouldn't be falling over in my photos?"

I thought about getting a medium-format Hasselblad lens with a tilt-shift adapter if I was more into architectural photos. The best part about the E-mount is that the possibilities are almost endless.

19. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Here's the samyang tilt-shift lens for E mount (APS-C format). You'll have the crop factor with your A7 but you can still have fun with it. Some use the tilt-shift lenses for landscapes as well, it's not only for architectural photography. http://www.digit-photo.com/Objectif...T-S-f-3-5-ED-AS-UMC-Sony-E-rSAM24TSSONYE.html

By the way, here I probably found the most expensive native E mount lens. Handevision, 40mm, f/0,85!! $2440!! Who said we can't have extrem lenses on the E-mount? LOL
    http://www.digit-photo.com/Objectif...x-40mm-f-0-85-pour-Sony-E-rIBELUX1010082.html

• Like Like x 1
  20. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Wow, f/0.85? Speaking of huge aperture lenses, it reminded me of this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281346516691?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT (Leica 90mm f/1.0 for $950). It is a lens for an X-ray machine, I thought about buying it and adapting it to the A7, then I came to my sense. :p Apparently, Leica made a 90mm f/1.0 Elcan-R with a regular camera mount for the US navy a few decades ago. That lens sold at auction for something ridiculous.

leica_90_f1_640w.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1