1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Photo Shoot with model Alina! - Vancouver, Canada

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by JonathanF2, Nov 5, 2018.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    *Cross posted on Nikon Cafe

My latest photo shoot with Ukrainian model Alina, shot on Granville Island in Vancouver, BC Canada. I used the Sony A7III, Nikon D750 and the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art and Zeiss 55mm 1.8 FE lenses. I timed the shoot on the only sunny day in Vancouver during my trip there!

Check out the shots!

43918681830_3e318767c0_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo Shoot with model Alina RopotanDate: October 27, 2018 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

44823162305_7d7d426ca8_b.jpg

Photo Shoot with model Alina Ropotan.Date: October 27, 2018 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

45737096411_b14e74f610_b.jpg

Photo Shoot with model Alina Ropotan.Date: October 27, 2018 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

45737074611_be0cdb4ea0_b.jpg

45012203094_68326b9a3c_b.jpg

43919494410_4668b515e8_b.jpg

30796941897_2269b8f1c7_b.jpg

45686921092_761288534f_b.jpg

Photo Shoot with model Alina Ropotan.Date: October 27, 2018 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr​

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    #6 & #8!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Lovely shots! Love that city and Granville Island. Luckily it only rained one day and the rest were sunny skies when I got to visit Vancouver.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ionian

ionian TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2018
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Great context and colour scheme - love them.

5. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Quick question - I posted these on the Nikon Cafe and some weren't to happy with the "context" aspect of the shots. I was shooting with a 35mm and 55mm and wanted to include some of the backgrounds of Vancouver in the shot, but some thought it was too busy. Does anyone feel this way? I was shooting f/2 on the 35mm mainly to avoid mis-focus issues (35mm was on my DSLR), but I'm thinking I should of dropped it down to f/1.4, but I'm not sure if that would make a major difference in the environmental aspects of the image? Also I'm not sure if it's a demographics issue since the majority of the 'cafe is also of the older and/or retired age range.

6. ionian

Aug 27, 2018
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    If I was being uber critical I would say that there are some framing issues that would have been easier to avoid if you had shot tighter (although not necessarily more open) - for example, the way the building comes out of her head in #3 and other slightly awkward head backgrounds where trees or bridge struts could be placed differently. But the aim I got from you was that these were contextual portraits and so the wider scene was absolutely appropriate, I wouldn't want the background obliterated myself.

It's all a matter of taste and in-the-moment judgement as well - it's so easy to critique from the comfort of our chairs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Prior to this shoot I did shoot tighter in a different outfit, but I wanted to swap out to a more public space to draw attention to her red dress. Also I've been debating whether or not I want to keep shooting with an 85mm lens, my issue is that I feel working distance is too far and I like the ability to be engaged with the model by telling jokes or having her tell me about her life, etc. I like that personal engagement which helps bring out more natural posing.

The other outfit and at a more low key location:
    31864935898_e283a05981_b.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  8. christilou

christilou TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    I really like that last one.... that's not to say that I don't like the others though. Numbers 2 and 6 are the standouts for me. I think it's nice to get some context here otherwise you may as well just shoot in a studio. I think number 6 has the right amount of blur for me, not too distracting but enough to get a sense of place. Interesting poses and angles, looks like fun :) 

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    One thing that stands out to me is that her mouth/lips are always in the same position in all the shots. Maybe it's just me since I'm waiting to have a crown put on a broken tooth later this morning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Done the crown thing, hope the fit goes well. Mine felt tight for like a month before settling in! o_O 

Actually the model and I discussed this. Due to the red lipstick she was careful not have it smear on her teeth, so that probably accounts for the fixed mouth position! :D 

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Great shots!
    Since you asked for constructive criticism, I’d say that #3 framing that tall building directly over her head doesn’t work for me and they way she stands (her legs) look very weird. #5 I’d say that you needed to leave a little more space between her head and the bridge ;) 

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Just had one put on yesterday as well. Stop hurting already

13. davect01

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

It really depends on what your target audience is and what you want to highlight.

Are you shooting the model or the background?

14. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    The outdoor shots I was predominately shooting with the 35mm lens which is known more as a environmental portrait focal length:

environmental portraits - Google Search

I could of shot everything tighter, but at that point, might as well shoot in a studio if the portrait doesn't take the environment into context.

15. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I found these to be just fine. Total blurring of the background is not always necessary nor makes for a better composition. These seem to be full torso and body shots. In an urban setting, the setting should be enhancing the portrait. Otherwise, why shoot there? (as Christina pointed out.)
    I think the amount of blur is fine, as having a familiarity with the location, I enjoyed being able to discern the background, yet they don't take away from the model. She's fully in focus, no out of focus weak areas.
    And I think you're right....the older gen and the iGen have differing tastes, and the latter prefer detail than bokeh.

Funny, opposite of Nick, I happen to like her pose and leg stance in that one portrait. :) 
    If there were one shot that could benefit from a smaller aperture and have completely in focus, was the last shot. It's in a public space with people. And their reaction becomes part of the whole composition, with the Maple Leaf in full flapping sharpness. A street photography vibe into the glam shot.

PS. You should've taken a few by those cool painted silos in the cement plant next door! I'm sure those guys would've invited you two right in, given the dress! ;) 

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ionian

Aug 27, 2018
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    I just want to clarify - I don't think you should have shot them tighter, I just thought that the minor framing issues would have been easier to avoid had you shot tighter. As such there is no issue with the context in your scene for me and as I said above I really like them.

If there is a takeaway from my comment, I hope it is to double check your backgrounds when framing especially around the head.

17. davect01

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

Yes, but some of the background folks and stuff is distracting

18. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I am in the "older and/or retired age range" and proud of it. Here are my notes:
    #1. nice background with lines drawing attention to face
    #2. The readable sign was the best way to handle that big yellow building in the background. Every other way I crop this ruins the image. Good choice.
    #3. I am totally OK with the building, which has a proper amount of out of focus.
    #4. The bridge lines kind of frame her - - maybe this one could be better...
    #5. very nice- maybe my favorite
    #6. nothing wrong here
    #7. I think the background does not help this one. not sure how to fix
    #8. obviously the context is most of the story here....good one.

19. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Thanks for the critique! Though it makes me question using a 35mm on my next shoot unless shot in an-enclosed setting. I'm usually a 50mm or longer portrait shooter, I'm surprised by all the many differing opinions for this particular on-location shoot and I'm beginning to think it's the 35mm that's the issue! Also I have a total of 350 photos edited, so this is only a small sampling of what I shot overall! :D 

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.