Photo Hosting Sites

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, Jul 20, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    Noticing that a lot of folks seem to use 'Flickr' to store their photos, I was wondering:
    1) Does 'Flickr' include a built-in Editor?
    2) If so, any testimonials about its use with JPEGs?
    3) Also, is 'Flickr' a stable, professional, fully functional application, or is it unstable, lacking basic features?

Reason I'm asking is that I've used Photobucket since it began...its grown & improved...and in particular the past couple years they've included a built-in editor (Aviary) that day in / day out I keep going back to as the best overall quality / simplest to use editor for JPEGs of a few software packages I've tried now.

But...Photobucket as a system / application just doesn't ever settle down...every couple months they seem to launch some new redesign of the user interface without warning and without a detailed "read-me" file (that I've ever found) and that's constantly annoying;

In addition, some of the upload / edit / save features work fine when they work, but there seem to be too many instances where their system is bogged down and system generated messages pop up saying to try later, etc...wastes my time / creates duplicate work.

I'm a patient guy but it's annoying enough that I'm now at least starting to consider alternatives. 'Flickr' is the first one I'm looking at because so many here seem to use I thought I'd ask...thanks.
  2. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    1) Yes. It's called Aviary.
    2) I never have used it, but I know it's there. ;)
    3) I have not had any issues in the 2-3 years I have been uploading photos to it. Every once in awhile, it will be down for maintenance, but only a short while.

I love it for my good photos. Just not sure what to do with the photos I just need to post to a forum. I wanted to keep my photostream just purely photos I like taken off my Nex. But lately I have been wanting a place to nab a pic off my smartphone to show someone sometime in another forum. So I have to upload it to Flickr and make it public so they can see it. Which means I have all these nice photos, and then some object taken with my phone just to show someone else on my photostream.
    Now I haven't looked deep into Flickr, so there may very well be a solution. I have a FT job that requires me to be on a computer all day long, so when I come home I don't really jump at the chance to go back on the computer to figure things out like Flickr. ;)
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Thanks...and with my FT job being retirement, LOL, I spend a lot of time with photos and am on Photobucket several times every day...that may account for my having an increased exposure to system issues, ergo my increased level of frustration.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    I have had only very rare issues with Flickr. But then, for a free terabyte of storage, I'll happily put up with the occasional glitch. And I have plenty of good photo editors on my Mac, so I have never had any desire nor any good reason to put up with the lag introduced by doing online editing of my images.

And I store all of my raw images in Lightroom's library on my Mac. The only images I put up on Flickr are the few developed images that I'm not too embarrassed to share.

Hm. I don't seem to be much help here, am I, roundball? :rolleyes-20:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    Correct...talking about JPEGs.
    And I never put originals online, copies only.

Plus I've contacted the present time they have no plans to make a stand-alone PC based version, online only.
    ( I think I recently read where Adobe just bought them out, using Aviary in their "cloud" thing...but don't quote me on that )
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    another happy Flickr user here for several years :)
    Can't help much about the jpeg Editor since i too shoot raw and use lightroom but its a great place to host and share photos. The quality is really good and haven't had serious issues either. Plus its a nice place to socialize with other great photographers and get some inspiration
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Flickr just gets better and better. I really like the new(ish) iPad app, and it works well with Lightroom.

They recently fixed my biggest problem with it, now you can sort the photostream by date taken instead of date uploaded. And you can easily show all your photos, or just public ones.

I'm actually liking the fact all my crappy iPhone photos get uploaded (private) automatically. I didn't think I'd want that but it's useful. Especially if you use the Sony PlayMemories app, all those photos transfered from the camera get uploaded too.

Hard to beat it.
    • Informative Informative x 2