Photo Editing Software Recommendation

Discussion in 'Post-Production' started by AdaBoy, May 14, 2015.

1. AdaBoy

AdaBoy New to TalkEmount

May 14, 2015
    I'm fairly inexperienced at photography and just recently purchased a Sony A-6000. I have zero experience using editing software so I'm hoping some of the good folks here can help me out.

What software do you recommend? Are some packages easier to learn and more intuitive to use? Are they all priced similarly? Are different levels/versions of the software available that have different options or is everything included at one price? I'm aware of Light Room and PhotoShop.......are there other valid options?

I've heard that some software is available online for a monthly which is better, having your software on your own laptop/computer or using an online service? One advantage of an on-line service is they always have the latest version; however, it seems a hassle to upload/download any and all images you want to edit.

Appreciate your thoughts.
  2. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Welcome to the fold. The A-6000 is a great camera.

Will you be using the software to make minor adjustment to JPEGs, or do you plan to shoot in RAW and do your own processing?
  3. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Just get Lightroom, plus Jeff Schewe's "The Digital Negative " book. You will be all set.
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    I agree on getting Lightroom, don't know about the book. Lightroom CC (subscription) or Lightroom 6 (stand-alone)? There's anything betweeen fierce rejection to luke-warm support for the Adobe subscription scheme. Personally I prefer the stand-alone version as that's what I'm used to. You being a beginner I guess you won't need Photoshop for some time to come, Lightroom is a very powerful tool in its own right.
  5. AdaBoy

AdaBoy New to TalkEmount

May 14, 2015
    Thanks for that info guys. Any chance one of the free software packages such as GIMP or Picnik does a good job of photo processing and is easy to use?
    Edit: Apparently Picnik was bought out by how about Google's online photo editing software? (

I have a family trip planned to Europe in June. There should be a lot of opportunities for nice landscape and architectural shots besides the family pictures. I was thinking of setting the camera to save both RAW and JPEG files so when I return, I would have the RAW files to use trying to figure out the photo editing software (what I want to do then how to do it).

Is there a price difference between Lightroom and Photoshop? Who has a competitive price on this software?
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
  6. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    download the trial version of LR and photoshop and see which one you like. Photoshop now is only available through the adobe CC
  7. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    All of the proper image editing software will be a bit daunting when you first start. But if you check out you tube there are some great "how too" or "light room basics" videos you can watch. Choosing RAW + Jpeg is a good idea, as even if you decide your happy with the jpeg images you will always have the RAW files to go back too should you ever choose to do so.
  8. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    If you have an iPad I can recommend the Snapseed and/or Photogene apps. A few dollars each, well spent in my opinion, for sheer convenience on the road.