• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Photo competition

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
A member of a forum I post bird shots to suggested I enter some into a competition.

I thought not. I take shots for my own satisfaction and am not very interested in winning anything, and wouldn't expect to anyway.

But I changed my mind, mainly out of an interest in improving the breed.

To avoid looking foolish with my entries I asked the bird shooter I most respect to comment on a collection on Flickr. She kindly did and gave positive and useful feedback.

It's been an instructive exercise going through the archive to pick the best six of each category: birds in flight, portraits and bird behaviour. I was asking: what's up to scratch technically but also what's going to stand out in the thousands of 'bird on a stick' shots the judges will be looking at? Will the shots that give me a warm feeling also warm the heart of a pro wildlife shooting judge? Is there a style that's mine? - and I think now there is.

I'm exiled from home due to the virus and had first to identify candidates from my cloud archive - not easy when they can't be displayed and have names like Brown Falcon (89)! and have to be downloaded via a phone's data link.

Examples of my style (I think) ...

Yellow-tufted Honeyeater picking manna from a leaf

Yellow-tufted Honeyeater (11).jpg
ILCE-9       800mm    f/6.3    1/1600s    ISO 1250

Australasian Grebe
Australasian Grebe (29).jpg
ILCE-9       800mm    f/6.7    1/1500s    ISO 3200

Shy Albatross
Shy Albatross water slicing Pt Fairy.jpg
NIKON D500       500mm    f/9.5    1/3000s    ISO 800

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
All good but I was forced to pick my jaw up off the floor when I scrolled the third one into view.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
Fantastic shots!

I can see how the entire experience has really worked for you, with the ethos of competition, being concerned with winning or loosing, seeming to have been the least of it.

Thank you for the pictures and for the thinking.

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Thad.

The exercise showed me that that shots I try for and that I selected for this were of birds active in some way or at least looking at me.

Top Bottom