1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Perfect Pond, If only...

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by WestOkid, May 21, 2016.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    A7r + 55z @f4

So I'm driving along and I see this pond and I guy fishing in a red shirt and I think, I gotta stop the car and get this shot. All I have is the 55 with me, but I begin to frame the shot and all is working well. I got nice reflections, I got a fisherman wearing red, I got driftwood, I even have a leaf dripping and creating a water ripple in my left foreground. I thinking this is what you call picture perfect, if only that freaking fisherman were 15 feet closer. I so wanted to yell, "hey buddy you mind moving into my frame a bit?" :biggrin:

26532803384_9d8bf67c0c_h. Pond by Gary, on Flickr

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    At least you had the camera and a lens with you!
    NICE shot!

• Like Like x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Nice, Gary. Looks to me like you could crop that photo into the upper left corner and still get a decent composition. Put all that delicious A7R resolution to good use!

• Like Like x 1
  4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks David. It's ironic you mention resolution, because it was that resolution that had me second guessing my shutter speed. I find that I can't get 1 to 1 with focal length like I used to on my a7. I have to almost double the focal length with the shutter (no IBIS) to be comfortable. As a result I went with f4 on this shot to get to 1/80 so DOF isn't ideal with focus on the driftwood. In any case, I actually like the top/bottom symmetry with the reflections so... That guy just needed to get closer!!!

5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    A nice Kodak moment! :) The result was outstanding.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That's a nice scene captured right there! ;)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1