Perfect Pond, If only...

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by WestOkid, May 21, 2016.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    A7r + 55z @f4

So I'm driving along and I see this pond and I guy fishing in a red shirt and I think, I gotta stop the car and get this shot. All I have is the 55 with me, but I begin to frame the shot and all is working well. I got nice reflections, I got a fisherman wearing red, I got driftwood, I even have a leaf dripping and creating a water ripple in my left foreground. I thinking this is what you call picture perfect, if only that freaking fisherman were 15 feet closer. I so wanted to yell, "hey buddy you mind moving into my frame a bit?" :biggrin:

26532803384_9d8bf67c0c_h. Pond by Gary, on Flickr

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    At least you had the camera and a lens with you!
    NICE shot!

• Like Like x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Nice, Gary. Looks to me like you could crop that photo into the upper left corner and still get a decent composition. Put all that delicious A7R resolution to good use!

• Like Like x 1
  4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks David. It's ironic you mention resolution, because it was that resolution that had me second guessing my shutter speed. I find that I can't get 1 to 1 with focal length like I used to on my a7. I have to almost double the focal length with the shutter (no IBIS) to be comfortable. As a result I went with f4 on this shot to get to 1/80 so DOF isn't ideal with focus on the driftwood. In any case, I actually like the top/bottom symmetry with the reflections so... That guy just needed to get closer!!!

5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    A nice Kodak moment! :) The result was outstanding.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That's a nice scene captured right there! ;)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1