Showcase Pentax M 50mm f1.4 (SMC Asahi)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by SpaceManSpiff, Jan 18, 2014.

1. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    I just picked up a SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.4 (6722514 Asahi Opt. Co., Japan) lens from my local thrift store. In good condition, with only a little paint wear on the aperture ring. Minimal dust otherwise, snappy aperture blade action, no oil on the blades, no fungus, etc. I was unnecessarily worried about it at first since the ME-super body it came with was pretty beat up.

Initial test shots on my NEX-6 look promising! Soft wide open (but not as 'glowy' as my Olympus Zuiko 50 f.18) and is noticeably sharper by f2.0 with a nice bokeh. I am looking forward to using this lens.

EDIT: there are sample images from a damaged version of this lens at https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=2904
    but I thought it would be misleading to add to that thread.

Series of shots of my permanently flowering bush (focusing on the bottom flower). ISO 100

f1.4
    DSC03025-M.

f2.0
    DSC03026-M.

f2.8
    DSC03027-M.

f4.0
    DSC03028-M.

f5.6
    DSC03029-M.

Two portraits at f1.4 of my loyal test subjects

ISO 1600
    DSC02989-L.

ISO 100
    DSC03023-L.

• Like Like x 8
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Pretty nice results ;)

3. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Thanks, Nick!

I am super excited about it, especially considering that I got it for $19USD. So far, it seems to be the best of my nifty fifties.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Pretty descent results, enjoy.

5. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    It's one of my fave lenses. I found mine at my father in law's house with his old Pentax Super ME. Love it.

6. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Sweet! Got any pics?

7. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I will have to look. I'm at work now so I do not have any pics here. I recently had back surgery, so I haven't had my camera out for a few months. And plus January in Wisconsin is just one big bummer anyhow. Not much time is spent outdoors and my family is tired of being my guinea pigs indoors. ;) I will see what I can find though!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Correction, I'm sorry. I found my father in law's camera with a 50mm 1.7 lens. I ordered the 50mm 1.4 lens in early November and that's when I started going downhill with my back and everything was put on hold. I was wondering why I wouldn't have posted any pics! So I have to apologize. The 50mm SMC 1.7 is my fave lens. But once I get using the 50mm SMC 1.4, I'm sure I will love it just as much, if not more.

Sorry for the confusion! I will definitely post some when I get around to using it. I am just a beginner, but I've sort of been sucked into the old lenses buying and can't seem to stop now. So I'm having a blast trying all these fun lenses that show up at my door. Ebay is trouble.... ;)

9. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    No worries! :cool: But feel free to share some pics when your back starts feeling better. There has to be some nice wintery scenery to shoot now?

10. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I'm a wuss and scared to take my camera outside. It was negative 3 today! Wouldn't that hurt it? I don't want to do anything to my camera.

11. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    idk, but I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. Just keep it inside your jacket until you take a picture...but I wouldn't leave it in snow drift or out on the porch overnight...just sayin' ;).

12. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    OK so no snow drifts...Got it....Let me write that down so I don't forget.... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    A pair of interesting visitors to our humble aerodrome today. You can see the second V-22 on final as the first taxis past the ANG ramp. The final pic shows one making a low, high-speed pass down the runway before turning on course. NEX-6 + Kiron MC-7 + SMC Pentax-M 50/1.4. I received the lens just a few days ago. Even with the teleconverter, this lens is sharp. I used f/4 so I could have a decently high shutter speed.

Tony

DSC00487_zpsdf974e6a.

DSC00511_zps18abb45e.

DSC00523_zpsb839350c.

DSC00526_zps14f1a0fb.

DSC00536_zps43a537c6.

• Like Like x 2