Pentax K mount suggestions?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Dec 15, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    For quite some time I have wondered about Pentax K mount lenses. I have heard they are quite good. Does anyone have any recommendations about which ones are good to try out? I have heard that the Pentax A 50/1.7 and 50/1.4 are particularly nice (although most fast 50's have pretty good performance).
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
  3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Thanks...been a member on that site for years. It's got great info. I was kinda hoping for Sony users experiences.
  4. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I was given a lens by a friend and I didn't recognize the mount. Took it to the camera store and they said it's Pentax-K.
    It's just a Sears lens, 135mm f2.8. I'll send it to you for the cost of postage if you want. Has a built-in lens hood, comes with both caps too.
    Clean little lens. IMG_0908.JPG
  5. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Thanks for the offer but I'm good. Have you shot with the 135?
  6. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Nope, I don't have a P-K adapter. Have lots of others but not that one.
  7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Quite a few Pentax/SMC/Takumar lenses in the Adapted Lens Example thread, maybe that'll help. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Good suggestion I went through them and got some good ideas.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  9. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    SMC Pentax 28mm f/3.5, the original K version, 8 element 7 group, especially for landscape.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Hi Kevin,

I have some K-mount glass, none are terribly exotic but I like them. I am on the lookout for more to add to the stable.

SMC Pentax-M 50 1.4 -- plenty sharp, much less nervous bokeh than my OM 50 1.4
    Pentax-M 50 1.7 --pretty sharp, lovely smooth bokeh; great performance for the price.
    SMC Pentax-A 50 1.7 --similar performance to the M version, but the plastic little button for 'A' breaks easily.
    SMC Pentax-M 80-200 4.5 --despite a dinged body, dinged built-in extending hood, sand in the focusing mechanism, this lens rips! Has become my go to lens for a little reach and flexibility.
    SMC Pentax-M 200 4 --have a mint one, and apart from the extra light gathering capability, does not outperform the zoom (surprised me). Handy built-in hood.

Some Ricoh, Chinon and Sears lenses were K-mount as well. The Sears lenses look like they are made by Ricoh.

The one unusual K-mount lens I have is not a Pentax but Chinon, an Auto Chinon Zoom MC 35-70 f/2.7-3.5
    It is not lightweight or compact. I can't find a lot of information on it.
    I have given it a pretty good workout this season: I find it to be sharp and to have a very useful close focus feature (1:2.4), but a little low on contrast (had to use a lens hood with it). To my eyes, images look good with a little PP.

Don't own one, but the Pentax 100 4 macro seems promising.

11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    In a pinch, you can mount Pentax-K onto a Contax/Yashica mount adapter. It's off by 1mm, so you won't get Infinity. If you have that one, you can shoot close-medium distance images fine.
    I did it with a SMC Pentax-M 50-f/2 'pancake'. Didn't bother mentioning this lens, since it's just OK. The Minolta MD (III) 50-f/2 kicks its butt, plus being cheaper.
  12. Dirtistasty2

Dirtistasty2 TalkEmount Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    Pentax-M 85mm f2! Small and light even with the adapter, and excellent IQ, especially at f2.8!

Also any of the macro lenses~!

And also... strangely, I have a Pentax mount Lensbaby Composer Pro with Edge 80, works very well on my A7II for creative bokeh shots
  13. jova castle

jova castle New to TalkEmount

Dec 27, 2015
    I tried Pentax Asahi 50mm 1.7f with a K&F concept adapter.. It is brilliant..Lens costs around £30 in Ebay and adapetr £11 from Amazon...
  14. FelixKH

FelixKH TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 8, 2015
    Being a Pentax user and a current A7II user, I use the K85mm F1.8, FA43mm F1.9 and FA77mm F1.8 on the Sony and the results are great

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
  15. mashiro2004

mashiro2004 TalkEmount Regular

Oct 5, 2014
    Aosta Valley - Italy
    Hi, very nice is also takumar 55 1.8 and is also very cheap, you can find it in K mount or m42
  16. volvo240thebest

volvo240thebest New to TalkEmount

Jan 7, 2016
    hi all
    first post here, been lurking for the last couple days.
    I had inherited a lot of Pentax pk mount from my father in law so I thought to chime in here.
    my fave is the smc 50 f1.4, plenty sharp and nice creamy bokeh
    the second favourite is the smc 100 f 2.8, superb lens too
    I also have the smc 50 f 1.7 but don't use it often just because I use the 1.4 instead.
    I also had the SMC 35 f 2.8 but was stolen. It never caught my enthusiasm though, possibly beacause I use a alpha 6000 and the focal length doesn't seem to work so well with the aps c format. probably it would work nicely on a full frame camera.
    I also have a smc 28 f 2.8 which works really well as a reverse mounted macro lens. it's ok for landscape as well.
    here's a couple shots done on the 50 mm 1.4

• Like Like x 4
  17. Tim Devine

Tim Devine New to TalkEmount

Nov 14, 2015
    Love this lens for landscape as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2015