1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pentax doing a lot of things right with K1

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by tomO2013, Feb 22, 2016.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    I was wondering what the communities impressions of the Pentax K1 is ...
    diglloyd: Pentax K1: Impressive Innovation Unmatched by CaNikon

Lloyd chambers has already made the point that it's pixel shift technology is producing better tonality than any medium format he has seen - for black and white landscape it may well be the best thing going. The description from those that have used it is that it is producing a foveon quality with better colour accuracy and at significantly higher resolution. Leica M monochrom beating? Possibly for certain types of work - still, landscape etc... Although Pentax are claiming that it can work with some other moving subjects, something I'm eager to see.
    diglloyd - February 2016

I have to say that this camera is probably the first DSLR in years to get me in any way excited. There is quite a lot of new and innovative technology - led's to highlight controls working in low light, astro tracer for shots in the sky, the ability to make 2mm adjustments to he sensor plane, effectively a diet tilt shift (???) . I get the impression that Pentax have really thought of the working photographer here. Its a pity that they didn't embrace full mirrorless with this camera - but that's just a personal preference for an EVF.

If Sony come out with an A9 featuring the same sensor shift high resolution mode, astro tracer, EVF, similar build quality, anywhere near the price of the K1, then they could just take my money! The one area that Pentax do not look so hot on is their available full frame compatible primes. Their 2.8 zooms look excellent (designed by Tamron??) with great reviews on IQ and reasonable pricing. However on the prime front it looks fairly dead if you want to use modern digitally optimized lenses.

I was wondering if anybody else was interested in this camera as a second landscape body or even considering it as a primary?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. rayvonn

rayvonn TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    I joined this form on the basis that I might get an A7R and legacy lens just for landscapes. But the thought of this new K1 with 15-30 lens may have just blown the A7R option out of the water. It seems as if that camera and lens combination for landscapes can't be beaten. So yes, I'm excited.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I was just watching Tony's & Chelsea's review last night and it sounds like a pretty capable camera indeed! I like the fact that they put (almost) everything into a body at just 1800$ - competitors should take notice :D

I've read that the lenses are not just designed by Tamron, but are actually rebranded Tamrons...

The one thing I can think its missing (and some might want it since its a trend with newer camera bodies nowadays) is 4K video...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    First thing I checked: is it mirrorless? No. Then thanks, not interested, despite pixel shift and whatever clever tricks they have up their sleeve. DSLR means focus inaccuracies that are beyond what I'm prepared to accept. And what do I do with my flock of legacy lenses? Not going to fit I guess. But Sony, take note that some people on this Sony-oriented forum are enthused by the K1, so come up with something that'll silence 'em :D.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. rayvonn

Jan 3, 2016
    Wouldn't surprise me if they did.

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I agree with Ad. If it has a flappy mirror, I'm not going to give it a second glance. And for me an optical viewfinder just doesn't cut it anymore either. That sensor shift technology looks interesting. And the price is certainly much more palatable than the A7RII's. But...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I don't see myself going the DSLR route either but I think of it like this: if camera manufacturer introduces certain technology/innovations, then probably the other manufactures will follow sooner or later - so with tha logic, what Pentax is doing is good news :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    There is nothing new with this approach from Pentax. They always had cameras that are very well specced and feature-rich, at great prices. Plus robust build and weatherproofing. Just look at K5 and K3 series.
    However, as with any system, it's the lenses that matter, and there are hardly any new Pentax lenses that will fit the digital FF from Pentax. To me, it is a matter of "better late than never" coupled with "too little too late". You need lots of top quality glass to make the most of the high res sensor, and the lenses are not here (yet?).
    Now, if Zeiss decides to make the Milvus back into Pentax K mount, that would be another story for landscape, nature, and travel photogs.

9. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    I agree with most of the sentiments here actually - the lack of an EVF and mirror is a major turnoff and I'm heavily invested in Sony's eco-system. If I was to experiment and pick one up it would only be for use as a second system for pure landscape work.
    That being said supposedly the mirror is very very well dampened so shutter shock should not be an issue. For landscape live view will with mirror lockup works wonders so for the disciplines of landscape, studio and still life/product photography Pentax have really knocked it out of the part.

Really what gets me excited is how many things Pentax got 'right' with this camera that others could/should copy.
    They really thought about how photographers use their cameras....
    - dual memory card slots
    - led for highlighting for mounting lenses (working in the dark)
    - probably the best weather sealing of any manufacturer.
    - Zooms are of a very high quality standard and of a reasonable price (take note Sony/Canon/Nikon)
    - non expensive body price
    - the ability to use the camera with gloves in cold climates (the second function wheel up top).
    - medium format rivaling quality with sensor shift.
    - Pentax offer a pathway from APS-C to FF to medium format
    - tonality for B&W work will be unbeatable sub 10k where sensor shift can be leveraged.

the major negatives for me ...
    - lack of high quality first party primes (although Sigma do have some of their Art series available for K-Mount ).
    - Vendor support/backup in my region
    - Flash system support while better than Sony not as good as Nikon/Canon
    - EVF
    - mirror.
    - resale value of lenses and bodies.
    - 4k video (only available for time lapse - not for video itself :/)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. rayvonn

Jan 3, 2016
    The 15-30, 24-70 plus Sigma Art 35mm f1.4 - they're all ready for the K-1 as a start.

11. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    Technically - if the lack of EVF doesn't leave you dead, I'd argue that this makes much better value than the Leica SL (flame retardant suit being donned).

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It's a hell of a lot of camera for the price. I confess though, the only feature that even interests me a little bit is sensor shift in conjunction with GPS for long exposure astrophotography. Other than that I'll stick with cameras that I can mount almost any lens on. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, we're spoiled. Here's hoping this Pentax drives down the price of the A7RII! :laugh:

• Like Like x 1
  14. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    Good stuffs and great price without 4K shoving down the throat of "still" shooters.
    I would buy this camera if it was an E-mount. Hear that Sony?

15. pbizarro

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    So you want a E mount DSLR? With OVF instead of EVF, plus mirror instead of mirrorless? Look into Sony A mount system, it even has more lenses than E mount one...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    Plus & minus a few of course and basically wanted a solid "camera" without 4K as a main selling point with extra cost which I do not have much use. a7SII is what I would opt for if I was into video. Let a camera be a camera.

17. pbizarro

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    There is always the Nikon Df, does not have video even...

18. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    This will be great camera body, just years too late. Whatever features they put I will not have again mirror and prysm in any camera ever.

This should have been MILC. Simple as that.

Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. tomO2013

Dec 11, 2014
    Nikon DF is 'limited' to 16mp so really targets a different target audience to the K1.
    Then the DF also lacks astrotracer, IBIS, sensor shift resolution, sensor tilt/shift, latest sensor technology, same build quality, dual card slots etc...
    I would not see a Pentax K1 replacing my A7 series system but it certainly could augment it - largely because the barrier for entry (cost) is relatively low.
    The lack of EVF is the biggest disadvantage for me -however in an architectural or landscape style of photography with mirror up and using the back screen, it's not so big a deal. Especially overlooked when you are effectively getting a FF foveon type of colour and tonality and accuity from the 36mp sensor in sensor shift.

20. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    at b&h, the k-1 costs less than a new a7r... sony needs to re-think their pricing, k-1 looks like a lot of camera for the money.

speculating on the amount of shutter shock is premature, a7rii ss for example is nearly as bad as a7r ss: Sony a7R, a7RII shutter shock with 280/4 | The Last Word

the k-1 has no efcs capability that i can find, except for when pixel shifting, so there won't be any way to mitigate the ss... you can stop the mirror flap vibration by putting the mirror up, but that's not going to be useful for event shooting and such.

maybe since pentax knew that they weren't going to offer efcs, they'd have to come up with a better shutter design than what sony did... keep your fingers crossed for ss measurements, if k-1 is on your radar.