1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pen F lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TonyTurley, Sep 3, 2014.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Look at this tiny beauty. Most of these on eBay are commanding usurious prices, but this one was listed <$100 USD, B.I.N. With over 29,000 ratings and 100% feedback, I figured the seller was honest in their description, and pounced on it. The lens is stunning in its quality - the photo just doesn't do it justice. Aside from some wear marks on the barrel, I would rate it as EX+. Along with the Minolta MD 50 f/1.4 I found in a thrift shop for $12, I would rate this as my best lens buys ever. Also on the way is a Pen F 20 f/3.5. The seller rated it as ugly, so I'm not expecting much, but the price was right. Maybe a good CLA will rehabilitate it. We'll see.

Photo taken with NEX-6 + Pen F 38/1.8.

Tony

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I did receive the 20mm f/3.5 today; you can see a photo of it in the adapted lenses show & tell thread. The body and rear element of the lens are in excellent shape. In fact, the lens looks to be very lightly used. The front element, however, has significant fungus, enough to affect image quality. I found a step-by-step photo guide on disassembling a Pen F lens, so I'm going to attempt to clean off the fungus - and hope it hasn't etched the glass. At worst, I'll be left with a very nice looking display piece for my camera display; however, I'm hoping to end up with a clean and very unique piece of glass. Wish me well in my venture.

Tony

3. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I always wanted to try out the 25mm as it would have been a great street lens. I have owned the 38, 40, and 100mm Pen F lenses. All lenses were pretty good but I didn't end up keeping any of them in the end as I found the smaller lenses harder to focus. I use AF most of the time so I had quite a bit tied up in these. The 40mm was my favorite. Even wide open at 1.4 is was very sharp in the middle. I had an older version with the brownish lens coating (newer was purple/blue) and it would flare like crazy at the hint of a bright light source. Fun lenses for sure, most of the Pen F lenses where very good

• Like Like x 1
  4. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I disassembled the Pen F 20mm this evening, and can see why a professional CLA can be expensive. The lens was a snap to disassemble and clean; while the fungus was extensive on the lens element, it had done no damage. I used white vinegar to eliminate the fungus, and cleaned the other front element, just in case. I followed that with Giotto's lens cleaner, and a careful wipe with a micro fiber cloth. No trace of the fungus remains. However, I now have a fully functioning lens with a click-less aperture ring. The tiny ball bearing inside the two piece ring had a mind of its own. I should have never opened the aperture ring in the first place, as it wasn't needed, and re-assembling the lens with the ball bearing in a very tiny, spring-loaded indentation was a nightmare. I actually lost the bearing 3 separate times in the carpet. I found it the first two times using a strong magnet, but in trying to realign the split rings the third time, the bearing sprang from the ring, bounced across my desk, hit one of the metal uprights, and vanished. I tried the magnet trick again, but no luck. I bet I spent over 2 hours of the 3 or so hours I spent working on the lens looking for that bearing. Bummer. Anyway, I'll work on getting some sample images tomorrow.

Tony

5. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Sorry to hear you lost the ball bearing, I have done the same, but at least the lens is still useable. I have a couple of paper weights after attempting the same sort of thing hehe

• Like Like x 1
  6. HabsFan

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    The clickless aperture is not necessarily a bad thing. A lot of people do this on their lenses to get smooth adjustments for video. It's also easier to use in between aperture settings. Pen F lenses are full stop lenses but you could set setting in between if you are careful. On my 40mm, I was using setting it to between 1.4 and 2.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks guys. As Chris said, at least the lens is useable. I took a chance on buying it, knowing the lens may be unsalvageable, and it was surprisingly easy to remove the fungus. Here's a test shot from this morning. Nothing special, but it shows promise.

Tony

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    It Does look like its pretty sharp. I like the rays of light coming through the clouds ;D

9. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks Chris.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  10. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Ha! I decided to try the magnet approach again, and actually found the ball bearing hiding along the baseboard behind my computer desk. This time, I placed the lens in a deep plastic tub in case I dropped the bearing again - which I did a couple of times. The object of the operation was to get a 1mm steel ball on top of an equally small spring jutting slightly from an equally tiny hole. After several attempts, I made it, and after re-assembly, my aperture ring now clicks at full stops. I cannot explain why, but it was really bugging me that my aperture ring wasn't "feeling" like it was supposed to feel. All is well now. :D I think my daughter would say "OCD much, Dad?".

Tony

• Like Like x 2
  11. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Haha glad to hear you sorted it out. Ive pulled a few lens's apart only wrecked one that I cared about, my tokina 28 2.8. its now to be used wide open or not at all :/ on another note I have cleaned a few successfully haha

• Like Like x 1
  12. HabsFan

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I went a little too far taking apart a Canon 85mm 1.8 S.S.C. and ended up locking up the focus ring. I try to avoid taking lenses apart but have fixed a couple successfully recently. But those stupid little springs and ball bearings are a constant issue. I've almost lost a few of those myself

• Like Like x 1
  13. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    The 20/3.5 tends to be listed for some very inflated prices on eBay and other sites. I got this one for a much reduced price because of all the fungus. I knew I was taking a risk, but also knew the lens was unusable otherwise, so what the heck! If I happen to come across another fungus-ridden lens that usually goes for high prices, I wouldn't hesitate to try it again.

Tony