• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Peak Design Wrist Strap & Anchors?

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I don't like camera neck straps. Never have. So I've always used some sort of wrist strap on my cameras. My current, thin leather wrist strap is probably going on 10 years old now, and has been used on at least my last 5 or 6 cameras now. I've lost track. In any case, I'm starting to get a little worried that the leather is wearing thin, and my camera is living on borrowed time, just one thin piece of leather away from disaster.

IMG_1120.jpeg
Apple    iPhone 12 Pro back triple camera 4.2mm f/1.6    4mm    f/1.6    1/60s    ISO 250

So I've been thinking of getting the Peak Design Cuff to replace it. It's quite a bit bigger than the strap that I currently use, but based on the video reviews I've watched, I think it'll work for me. I also just purchased their thin Leash Camera Strap to help me to manage the weight of my Sigma 150–600mm lens. The lens has a couple of strap rings built into the body, and PD's little anchors loop right into them. My plan is to use the leash as a safety tether when I'm hand-holding the Sigma beast, and then just leave the anchors attached to it when the leash isn't in use.

But I have two questions for those of you who are familiar with the PD Cuff and anchors: 1) How has the strap worked for you? Any plusses or minuses that I might want to know about? And 2) Is it possible to attach the V4 anchors to the eyelets on the side of the camera without using the little triangular eyelets? I've tried (briefly) to thread the anchor loops directly through the tiny eyelets on my A7RIV, and have had no luck so far. It just seems too tight a fit. But I think I may try to loop a stout thread through the anchor loop and see if I can pull one through. If that works, are there any possible downsides to doing that? Might that weaken the loops on the anchors? In addition to my aversion to neck straps, I hate those little, noisy triangular eyelets, so I'd like to avoid them if I can. Mostly because I don't want to give the camera body any unsightly scratches.

So, do any of you have any experience with those things? Is there anything you wished you had known about the items in my plan? Any better alternatives you could recommend?

I'm all ears. 👂

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Timely thread David, I was just playing around with my camera this afternoon.
I'm a strap guy myself, even though I usually carry the camera while walking with it.
RE: the triangular eyelets
I use them on my cameras. They have a plastic piece that should prevent scratching. My working with stress analysts taught me that you want to 'spread' the load. Taking the eyelets off the camera eyelets increases the loading on the anchor loop with sharp corners of the camera eyes. I also didn't like that you can't really remove those triangular eyelets without scratching the camera eyelet itself. At least I've never been able to do that. PD did increase the diameter of the black attach cable of their quick release loops, so that should tell you something right there.
I recommend you keep the triangular eyelets in place, especially on that big HONKING lens of yours. I'd hate to read some day that it hit the ground for want of a secure anchor.
DSC01668 (2).JPG
ILCE-9    FE 24mm F2.8 G    24mm    f/2.8    1/160s    ISO 1600

Last edited:

MWhite

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I usually wear my camera backpack when I'm out and have the Peak Design (PD) capture clip on the shoulder strap. On my camera bottom is PD's capture dual plate with one of their anchor links (the little loop) attached to it. Another anchor loop is attached to the right side of the camera. ALSO attached to the right side bracket is my leather wrist strip. (The capture dual plate on the camera bottom is Arca compatible, BTW, and screws into the camera's mounting hole.)

I find that mounting the camera on the backpack capture clip when I am moving makes carrying the camera much easier. It distributes the weight well. When I find something interesting, the camera comes off, and I carry it with the wrist strap around (what else) my wrist. On fairly rare occasions, I use the neck strap if I have to have two hands free. These are really the only times that the camera and lens has to hang from a strap. The rest of the time it is in my hand or mounted to the backpack strap. I view the wrist strap as insurance, not something from which to hang the camera. (The capture clip can lock to prevent accidental release, BTW.)

Perhaps all of this will help with your much bigger lens/camera combination.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
David, I have been using the PD Cuff since 2014 on my EM1's, G9 and now Sony A7RIV, and just love it. It is very secure and comfortable and I even shoot with this cuff and the Sony with the 100-400 GM or the EM1.3 with the Olympus 100-400 with no problem. I have the PD capture clip mounted to my sling bag and carry the camera and 100-400 lens this way if I am hiking in rough terrain or longer distances.

FYI, also have a thin PD Leash and a older wider PD Slide for my Nikon D500 with the 300mm on it. Don't really use either one much anymore, but the wider slide strap is more comfortable with the heavier DSLR and lens than the thin leash is.

As far as trying to fit the newer anchors into the camera eyelets, I just gave up, as the cord material has gotten slightly thicker over the years and I have triangular eyelets on mine now. If you look real close the triangular eyelets have plastic clips in 2 of the corners, so no scratching or noise!

EM1.3 vs. Sony A7R.3.jpg
Apple    iPhone SE (2nd generation) back camera 3.99mm f/1.8    4mm    f/1.8    1/60s    ISO 320

Last edited:

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
That way I’ve got options, but I don’t have a triangle clacking around uselessly when I’m using the cuff.
So you noticed that on my 2 bodies. I keep the extra anchor point on the non-grip side as sometimes I use a custom leather strap to carry a 2nd body and this is a fast way to anchor to the body by using both clips, rather than putting the standard plate with a clip on the bottom. PD sells a $20 kit with 2 of the low profile quick connectors and 4 anchor links to attach your own strap. I only add a plate if I intend to use the Capture Clip or a tripod. But in any case, there is no noise caused by the anchor links.

And a note about Peak Designs excellent Customer Service. As I mentioned in my 1st post I am a long time user and had V1 of the Cuff, anchor links and standard plate. The original plate had a center tripod mounting screw that was not designed to stay in place as it is now on later plate designs, it was loose and could be lost, which happened to me. I contacted PD Customer Service last year and told the rep that I wanted only the center screw and not the whole plate. She asked for a quick phone photo, which I sent. She got back to me saying that they no longer had replacement screws, but instead of telling me to go to a hardware store and figure it out, she sent me 2 new Standard Plates ($20 each) and also said that she noticed that my Anchor Links were also V1 and included 4 new V4 ones ($10). All at a no charge and included 2 day shipping!!! I am now a customer for life with PD, they earned my respect.

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
But after reading @SpecFoto’s 100-400 GM report, it makes me want to go out to hang my Sigma 150-600mm off of it just to see what’ll happen. :eek-30:

I want to see a picture of that! :rofl:

I cannot really add much to what has already been said other than to say I like my PD Cuff, but seldom use my strap (cannot remember its product name). I do not think the eyelet noise is an issue, as the anchors provide some standoff and padding between the eyelet and body. The anchors themselves make a little noise if they are left dangling with nothing attached. The Cuff sometimes tightens up on my wrist which is annoying, but I do have older versions and I understand this has been rectified since then.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Yeah, I don't think I'll be doing any hiking with this beast hanging off of my shoulder strap. :shakehead:

IMG_1160.jpeg
Apple    iPhone 12 Pro back triple camera 4.2mm f/1.6    4mm    f/1.6    1/972s    ISO 32

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Veteran
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
A couple of months ago while I was waiting to eventually get my hands on an A1 I started thinking about accessories and decided to order some in advance of the camera's arrival. As it happened there was a discussion about straps and carrying cameras/lenses on another forum where I hang out and several people mentioned Peak Design. While I'd heard of them and had seen people's cameras with the cute little dongle-y thingies hanging from their camera's eyelets or lugs, I'd never used any of the products. I had been about to order another Op/Tech strap for the new camera but decided instead to take a chance on this PD stuff.....and ordered a "Leash" and a "Slide Lite," figuring that I'd try these out on the gear I already had.....

Didn't take long to make a convert out of me! Tried the "Leash" out on my RX100 VII and thought, y'know, I'll bet that wrist strap would be better for this camera," so ordered one. It arrived, I put it on the RX100 VII and, yeah, just great, perfect! BUT.....my eye fell on the RX10 IV and I thought, "huh, this is the camera I keep sitting out so that I can grab it quickly and run out to the deck to shoot wildlife action that might be happening on the water....." and just for fun easily swapped the PD wrist strap over to the RX10 IV, which was ideal. Perfect for that camera and the way I use it!!! Hasn't been off that camera since.

I still prefer to have a neck strap when out-and-about with my cameras, especially if using a heavy lens, but for the first time I am really enjoying and appreciating the value of a wrist strap, too. Around home it's ideal. I'm also loving the ease of the PD system when it comes to swapping around, removing or adding a strap to any of my cameras -- very cool, really slick! Right now my A7R IV, who isn't getting a lot of use while I'm busy playing with the A1, is sitting in the cabinet but instead of having a bulky camera neck strap attached to her, she's now just got the little dongle-y thingies and takes up a bit less space on the shelf. I can grab her and in just a couple of minutes have a strap on her, ready to go, too.....sheer genius, this system!

Last edited:

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, I don't think I'll be doing any hiking with this beast hanging off of my shoulder strap. :shakehead:
IMG_1160.jpg
Apple    iPhone 12 Pro back triple camera 4.2mm f/1.6    4mm    f/1.6    1/972s    ISO 32

Uh....yeah, that's a load. Both my Sony 100-400mm GM and Olympus 100-400mm are quite a bit smaller and a lot lighter than than beast. The GM is 3.7" by 8.07", weighs 3.07 lbs and uses 77mm filters. The Oly is a tad smaller and lighter at 3.4" by 8.1", weighs 2.46 pounds, uses 72mm filters (and is a 200-800mm FF equiv. lens :D). Adding either camera to my 100-400 will still put me at about 4 lbs or under, less than your lens alone, which if I got the right specs, is about 4.7 pounds :eek:

Last edited:

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Top Veteran
The PD wrist strap thingie mostly now hangs from a spare anchor on my camera bag. I think I thought a wrist strap essential to be sure I didn't drop my camera. Now I have more confidence that I'm not going to simply let go. Even with a heavier lens.

I have a strap too, but since covid, taking the camera for an actual walk doesn't seem to happen, and nor do functions like weddings where I'd like to have the camera attached to me.

One thing though: I wouldn't want to go back to a more permanently-attached carrying system. The ease of attaching and detaching is a PD winner. One anchor lives on the camera. The other lives on the strap. I don't want two on the camera, and it is no hassle just to loop on the other anchor for a strap day.

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Veteran
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
That is what hooked me: the sheer flexibility of the PD system. In just seconds I could swap a strap between camera bodies even if I just wanted to try it out..... Sure as heck never did that with my Op/Techs, much as I loved them! Once an Op/Tech strap was on a camera it stayed on that camera. I've still got my Op/Techs, of course, but now they are in a bag stored in another room while I'm happily using the new PD system. By being able to try the different PD straps, including the wrist strap, on my different camera bodies I could immediately see whether or not this would be a workable solution for that particular camera and how I use it, and of course it is also valuable in that I don't have to buy a bunch of new straps, one for each camera, since I can simply swap straps as needed on a given day in a given situation. I do have a PD Slide for each of the two "big" cameras, the A7R IV and the A1, as there will be times when I'll be out in the field using both of them. and will want good secure straps on each. At home, though, if I'm just setting up to shoot a few macros with the A7R IV, no need for a full-blown neck strap, the wrist thingy works very nicely for this. Easy enough to pop it off the RX10 temporarily and stick it on the A7R IV and use it during the shooting session..... Time to tuck the A7R IV away in the cabinet? Remove the strap and she takes up less space in there has room to breathe. I'm really loving this!

Kmac76

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
I ended up using mine using this method….3+ years with the PD strap…very confident in the system..
image.jpg
   ---            
image.jpg
   ---            

Latest threads

Top Bottom