Review Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L Bag

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
There is no perfect camera bag. I know, because I own a bunch of them. And while they all serve perfectly well in certain conditions, none of them do that in all. In this case I was looking for the perfect bag to carry my A7RII, the Loxia 21 f/2.8, Sony 35 f/2.8, and Sony 85 f/1.8 lenses, in an unobtrusive way, and as comfortably as possible.

Here's my impression of how well this bag does that.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

According to Peak Design, it's got a waterproof cover (in black or ash colors) which is made of a "nylon canvas" material, and has waterproof zippers. But I haven't yet had the chance to test either. The adjustable strap is attached to sturdy swiveling hinges, and there's a quick disconnect clasp next to the shoulder pad, as well as a quick adjuster loop to lengthen or shorten the strap. They've even thought to add a thin carrying handle.

The interior is lined with a bright, fleece fabric, and has a couple of velcro (Peak Design's FlexFold) dividers, which are easily adjustable.

Both of them have origami-like fold-over sections, so you can stack lenses if you want to. And if the lenses are small enough.

There are a couple of small side pockets. For things I have yet to think of.

The back, padded panel folds forward, and is fastened magnetically.

My wife's iPad mini fit back there, but my 10.5" iPad Pro didn’t.

There is a zipped pocket inside the front cover with four battery sleeves, and room for a lens pen, a wireless remote, small microfiber cloth, etc.

The back is firmly padded, but still thin.

And there's a zippered, fleece-lined pocket in the front, with plenty of room for a big phone, some documents, etc.

If you need to frequently adjust the strap length, the quick-adjust loop makes that fairly easy.

And the excess strap tucks away neatly in between the two, padded back panels.

The cover's zipper has a pull that can also loop around a built-in strap for theft protection. That strap can also be used with Peak Design's Capture system to temporarily hang your camera outside the bag.

So does it do what I want?

Seems to fit fine. And when I swap out the 35mm lens, I can put the camera back in the bag "nose-down" with either of the other lenses mounted, while either of the fold-over FlexFold flaps protects the camera and the stowed 35mm lens.

And I was delighted to find that it could be easily configured to hold my 16-35mm and 24-105mm combo as well.

I'm sorry I couldn't find a model. But I hope these pictures give you some sense of scale.

So yeah, it's a keeper. And I can add it to my steadily growing pile of camera bags. But I suspect that this bag is versatile enough to get a lot more use than the others.

Pros:
• small
• waterproof
• hugs close to the body
• easy to access
• easy to configure for different gear
• lots of thought-out details

Cons:
• Price
• Strap is a bit thin

Attachments

addieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
I just looked up the specs on Peak Design's website and I'd have dismissed this bag instantly without having read your review: "Mirrorless camera + 1-2 lenses" hardly describes its flexibility. Your use case is representative for many of my outings, on which I now often use a Think Tank Turnstyle 10 V2.0; it carries about the same, is a bit lighter (0.4 kg vs. 0.5 kg) and offers less room for accessories like glasses, tissues, batteries, cards etc. Must reconsider; not a big deal because I only have about 15 bags.

Very nice and informative review, thanks!

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Thanks for a great review! I've been looking for a smaller, lighter bag than my Hadley Pro to hold A9 and 3 small or 2 medium sized lenses. This looks like it fits the bill.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
And when I swap out the 35mm lens, I can put the camera back in the bag "nose-down"
Mine arrived today. Using the nose down approach, I can fit my A9 with 35/1.4 attached, 85/1.8 to one side, and a perfect spot for the 21mm Loxia on the other side :thumbsup:.

Last edited:

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
When I had out to shoot, I try to limit myself to a camera body and 2, sometimes 3 lenses. It's all the other crap I feel the need to take - tripod, L-bracket, extra batteries, lens cloths, filters, remote trigger, kitchen sink - that weighs me down.

So I pretty much need a backpack. I currently have 3.

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Edwin
It's all the other crap I feel the need to take - tripod, L-bracket, extra batteries, lens cloths, filters, remote trigger, kitchen sink - that weighs me down.
Same here! I'm a two-lens carrier but the other craps always overflow my bag :confused-69:. If I could put my bike in there I would! :laugh1:

erb3742

TalkEmount Rookie
This is my favorite bag for everyday use carrying my camera as well as travel. One thing that I struggle with when traveling is I need a backpack in order to carry my laptop and other items with the camera, but I do not want to lug around a backpack all day when I get to my destination. It turns out the Peak Design 5L fits perfectly in the Tenba Messenger Backpack where the camera insert normally sits.

I can fit my A7Riii with 24-105 mounted and then the 55/1.8 and 35/2.8 stacked on one side. Also for airports internationally that want you to remove your camera from your carryon, I just put the Peak Bag in its own tray and never have a problem.

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
I just bought a Manfrotto NX CSC/Drone backpack. I need to fit two bodies and 3 or 4 lenses so wanted something a bit bigger than a shoulder style bag as I'm in danger of keeling over on one side. I'll let you know how it works when I get around to taking on our next trip.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom