1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Parking

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by bdbits, Sep 30, 2016.

1. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Rather abstract or minimalist, but maybe I am not the only one who enjoys this kind of photo. At first I thought about getting rid of the poles and wires, now I kind of like them there.

2016.09.10_11.42.11_DSC01210.

• Like Like x 6
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Would be a lot better if the telephone lines were not in view.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    If you are trying for a very flat 2-D image, the telephone poles should probably not be there. But if you want some 3-D perspective, they add that. I have looked at it covering the poles and wires with my hands and also looked at the full image...

I feel more comfortable with the 3-D image. So the poles are good for me. It is really up to the artist to decide what look he wants to convey. The opinions of Dave (I believe) and me give provide feedback to the artist about what "works".

4. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    sings, and lines, always f@*kin up the scenery.
    Although in this photo I kind of like them. Around my neck of the woods however, there is a set that run across the pond on our property that just... infuriate me when i'm trying to take a decent sunset shot over the water.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, it would be a better image without all the clutter, but... :rolleyes-20:

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I agree, it's a nice opposition between the somewhat messy poles and wiring and the abstract-looking building. The image would look too sterile without them. IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Thanks for all the feedback. I knew the poles/wires would come up.

I really vacillated over getting rid of them. In the end I decided I did not want a totally flat abstraction, and I think they add a bit of reality, interest or opposition, as addieleman put it (at least I think we mean the same things). I can see it both ways, but preferred it this way.