1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panoramic problems w/ a6000

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by nighttrain, Oct 6, 2016.

1. nighttrain

nighttrain TalkEmount Regular

Dec 9, 2014
    I've been having trouble shooting panoramics on my a6000. I typically end up trying the shot 5-10 times before I actually get one. The standard warning pops up saying it couldn't complete the photo. I've tried panning more slowly, more quickly, not breathing, etc. I've used the two kit lenses (16-50, 55-210) and a Sigma 30mm. When I had an a5000, maybe one out of every 5 or 6 panoramics I attempted would fail. I'm shooting hand-held. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    How are you planning the camera? Is the held tight to your body and you are rotating you hips? Or is the camera more out at arms length?

The former is better. Even better would be to rest the camera lens on your thumb and use that like a tripod head.

Note that even on a tripod, the rotation point still isn't right. A model slide would help get the camera back a little further, which is why using your thumb under the lens is better.

I saw a video somewhere that showed how various techniques were better or worse. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    What focal length (besides the Sigma 30mm) are you panning at?
    The wider the FL, the faster rate of pan is possible. The zoom lens isn't particularly fast, so bright daylight is a must and panning must be notably slower.
    I've successfully made panos even with manual focus lenses of 24-50mm in bright sunlight.
    Bear in mind, if you're shooting in twilight, the shutter will be slowed and panning must also be slower to be successful.
    My highest rate of success has been pivoting with the use of the EVF, not screen. Less parallax errors.

4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I sometimes have problems like that, too. It can be frustrating.

I find it more difficult but not impossible to do panoramics with longer focal lengths. I would avoid the 55-210 until you get the hang of it.

I find it useful to think about how the camera has to stitch this together and try to make that easy.
    Steady and not too fast with an even sweep across the scene.
    Rotation is important - try to be a human tripod. :)
    It also seems to depend a lot on how much light you have, and sometimes I have to go surprisingly slow (like at twilight as noted).

5. nighttrain

Dec 9, 2014
    Thanks for the tips. dbmiller, I'll try the thumb technique. Couldn't get your link to work. I am keeping the camera close and trying to move from the hips. Shooting well before dusk. On the 16-50 I usually set it between 20-24mm. With the 55-210 it's below 60mm.

Some people are reporting better performance with a faster SD card. I've been using a 40MB/s card. Will switch to an 80 and see if that makes a difference.

6. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Damn it - Fixed.

While the video does manual stitching, the key take away is making it easier for the camera to do the stitching.

7. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I'm not sure the SD card will matter. I am pretty sure the pano capture and stitching is all done in memory, and the result written after it is done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Same with the NEX-7 or the older NEXes (5, 5n, 6) - no probs, worked (almost) every time, no matter what lens or SD card I've used as long as there's enough light.

9. nighttrain

Dec 9, 2014
    Thanks for the recent comments. dbmiller, the video was very instructive. Will try out the thumb technique next time I'm out shooting.