• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Pano of the Missouri River

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
This is a handheld five-photo stitch on the A7Riii with the Voigtlander 40/1.2. I usually use Microsoft ICE but it had some issues with the stitch, so I gave Hugin a try (open source). It did a nice job, and no issues, though the interface may seem intimidating to some. It actually isn't, but takes a little time to adjust to. The trade-off is that if you want it, you can have a lot more granular control over the process.

Missouri River 2020-04-22 by bdbits, on Flickr

Last edited:

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
This is a handheld five-photo stitch on the A7Riii with the Voigtlander 40/1.2. I usually use Microsoft ICE but it had some issues with the stitch, so I gave Hugin a try (open source). It did a nice job, and no issues, though the interface may seem intimidating to some. It actually isn't, but takes a little time to adjust to. The trade-off is that if you want it, you can have a lot more granular control over the process.

Missouri River 2020-04-22 by bdbits, on Flickr
Wonderful results!
The last time I tried Hugin, I found it quite slow to produce a pano compared to ICE 2.0. Perhaps it's my laptop. I don't have a dedicated GPU. What sort of system are you running Hugin with? Maybe I'll give it another try.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks WNG. If you click through to Flickr you can see it at full resolution. I love the detail a pano preserves, though I imagine most people never see it.

Hugin is slower, but it does not take all that long anyway. I think the output quality was a little better with Hugin, too. Maybe the speed issue would bother me if I was doing stitches all the time. I was actually fairly happy with ICE, but it had some pretty bad stitching errors with this set for some reason. I tried overriding some of the automatic choices it makes, but it persisted in some misalignments. It is kind of noticable when roads don't line up, lol.

As for my computer, I have a home-built desktop from I think it's been 4 years ago with an AMD FX-6300 (six cores), 16G of RAM, and a Radeon R9 270X GPU. I upgraded to SSDs quite a while ago, and added the 2nd 8G of RAM about a year ago. The RAM made more of a difference than I thought it would, especially with Capture One even before I upgraded my camera body from 24M to 42M images. I have noticed Capture One sometimes takes a while to apply certain edits, particularly if I have a lot of masked layers, otherwise the computer still seems zippy enough. An upgrade would be nice but I don't have the money right now.

My experience with Hugin is more positive than I remember it being last time I tried it, which was quite some time ago. Costs very little time and no money to give it a run and see what you think. If you have any others you have tried I would be interested in your experiences, otherwise I think I will just use Hugin for a while.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
It is a shame but, IMO, generally Panos do not present all that well on monitors. IMO, the true elegance of a pano is in a very large print...

A helpful technique is to shoot the pano in the vertical camera position which gives you a wider top to bottom view while the left to right view is predicated on how many exposures make the pano...

IMO, in this pano, it would have been beneficial to include the bottom curve of the river - image right of the bridge...

Of course, it really helps, when shooting a pano, to use an L bracket on your tripod head rather that tilting the camera cantilevered on its side to achieve the vertical format...

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This pano was done handheld on a whim while taking a drive around town to relieve coronavirus boredom. I was standing toward the edge of a bluff above the river, and the apparent curve is artifical as the river starting at the right-hand bridge is actually quite straight. This is probably about a 150-degree panoramic. I do have some below the pano's center in the original images, but had to crop mostly for the leftmost images, to keep images aligned with no blacked out areas. Also as I recall, lower down on the left there was some unsightly debris and/or cable guardrails which I did not want in the picture.

Yes panos are best as a print, and I have a decent tripod if I had been planning out the shot, but as I said - in the moment on a whim. I am just sharing online what I managed to get and some software references.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Thanks WNG. If you click through to Flickr you can see it at full resolution. I love the detail a pano preserves, though I imagine most people never see it.

Hugin is slower, but it does not take all that long anyway. I think the output quality was a little better with Hugin, too. Maybe the speed issue would bother me if I was doing stitches all the time. I was actually fairly happy with ICE, but it had some pretty bad stitching errors with this set for some reason. I tried overriding some of the automatic choices it makes, but it persisted in some misalignments. It is kind of noticable when roads don't line up, lol.

As for my computer, I have a home-built desktop from I think it's been 4 years ago with an AMD FX-6300 (six cores), 16G of RAM, and a Radeon R9 270X GPU. I upgraded to SSDs quite a while ago, and added the 2nd 8G of RAM about a year ago. The RAM made more of a difference than I thought it would, especially with Capture One even before I upgraded my camera body from 24M to 42M images. I have noticed Capture One sometimes takes a while to apply certain edits, particularly if I have a lot of masked layers, otherwise the computer still seems zippy enough. An upgrade would be nice but I don't have the money right now.

My experience with Hugin is more positive than I remember it being last time I tried it, which was quite some time ago. Costs very little time and no money to give it a run and see what you think. If you have any others you have tried I would be interested in your experiences, otherwise I think I will just use Hugin for a while.
Thanks Bob, for answering my inquiry. Looks like my system is older, thus slower. It's also AMD, but a Phenom II X4 overclocked to 3.9GHz. Also 16 GB RAM. But no GPU.
Anything newer isn't in the budget now. My daily driver is a docked laptop instead. It's lower power consumption and near silent operation, wins over the old desktop.
It's mobile 2nd gen i5 cpu and 8 GB RAM, and SSD helps it keep pace with a desktop. So it became my 'desktop'...on 24hrs. It runs Capture-One well, but dragged when I tried Hugin.
I'll give the free app another try. I've also experienced the same stitch errors with ICE.

Top Bottom