1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pancake lens vs Zoom lens

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by YMC, Sep 1, 2011.

1. YMC

YMC New to TalkEmount

Sep 1, 2011
    I notice that Sony Nex always have front heavier problem, lens is always heavier that the Nex body itself.
    I feel uncomfortable with heavier lens such as 18-200 that attach to the Nex body.
    What do you guys think?
    Should Sony introduce or focus more on pancake lens rather than heavy zoom lens?
    I love pancake lens with large aperture, no doubt! ;)

2. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    I would love to see a few more pancake lenses from Sony ... with better image quality than the 16mm. ;)

Back in the days when I was shooting with Pentax DSLRs, my favorite lenses were the Pentax DA Limited 40mm f/2.8 and the DA Limited 70mm f/2.4 primes. Those were great pancake lenses. I have no doubt that Sony is capable of making good lenses so it's just a matter of putting their engineers to work on creating such lenses for the NEX mount.

3. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Haven't used the 18-200so I can't comment but most of the other lenses seems to be roughly the same size or slightly smaller than the 18-55 (excepting the 55-210 that is) and I don;t feel that the camera-lens combination is unbalanced at all. I don't think the choice is between pancake lenses and 'heavy zoom lenses'. For a start, they aren't heavy (the NEX-5 and 18-55 together weigh less than the Tamron 17-50 lens that lives on my DSLR) and there is no reason why Sony can't make both and more kinds besides.

Right now I would like them to hurry up with the promised WA zoom and 'G' standard zoom and to bring out a 24 and a 35 1.8 that are affordable. I don't really care what size they are as long as they perform.

4. Henry Peach

Henry Peach TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 5, 2011
    KS, USA
    I want small primes. I like the size of the 16mm, and I'll tolerate the 18-55. I can still cram it all in a bag half the size as the smallest camera bag I had previously owned. I understand why zooms need to be big, but I don't understand why a tiny 35mm film Olympus Stylus Epic, or other 35mm format compact film cameras, can have such a small lens, and I can't get something similar for my APS-C format digital compact camera? I don't even like that some of the primes coming out are similar size as the 18-55 zoom. Any bigger than that, and for me the advantage of carrying the NEX over my DSLRs is gone.

5. YMC

YMC New to TalkEmount

Sep 1, 2011
    :)
    Anywhere, I still think that a large aperture pancake lens is cool!