1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic CM1 Smartphone

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by ChangshaNotes, Sep 16, 2014.

1. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    A 1 inch sensor and a Leica lens

I use an iPhone and I don't really know much about Android, but this is an interesting new direction that Panasonic is taking.

• Like Like x 2
  2. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I think it's pretty big, bulky, and expensive. 1" sensor might be a little too big for smart phone to keep the size down. I don't think I would carry something that big

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Its a great idea, though I am unsure how many would want such a bulky phone.

4. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    I carry a camera with me everywhere I go, so a larger phone would npt bother me that much. But trying to squeeze 20MP out of a 1" sensor, the noise and high iso is going to be bad

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    This is interesting for sure. Not for me, though. The reason I don't shoot any photos with my iPhone is the user experience, not the image quality. I simply don't like the feeling of shooting with such a device compared to a proper camera (heck, even the RX100 feels worlds better). Might be just one of my weird feelings though.

For someone who uses his phone as a main camera, this one surely is the best one. Also, 20 MP on a 1" sensor seem pretty reasonable, considering the Sony RX100 uses a similar sensor.

6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Phones these days are universal devices. My phone app is used nearly as much as many other apps and functions on my phone for example. Making the camera the first priority is pretty interesting to me and while this first generation device may not be great for the price, the direction Panasonic is taking here is very interesting to me.

7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    If I'm going to carry something like that around, I think I'd just as soon carry an iPhone and a Sony QX1. I'd hate to lose all the other advantages of the iPhone and iOS just to get a better camera.

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Interesting device but not for me. I use Asha 503 (unusable camera btw) because of long standby time and 7" android tablet. I hope someone will make 7" tablet with usable camera some day.

9. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    This device looks pretty cool, I heard it also has raw support which is interesting. The next version of android ( android L ) is apparently going to have native raw support built into the os :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Yea. Been saying since the Honami was first leaked that they would be super stars if they threw a 1" sensor plus crazy good optics and manual control @ Android. Even chatted a few Sony reps up @ xda-dev Con... "if there is a comment / suggestion box pass this up to the engineers" I said. And two Xperia phones later. Still same sensor. Still a majority who complain it's not that great. C'mon Sony.... Step it up...

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

11. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    How about a firmware update that let's me make a call using my NEX-7? :)

12. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    As a Xperia Z Ultra owner...it looks like a midget to me :D
    Still, dont really care much for phone cameras aside from using a flash as my flashlight.

13. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
  14. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I have the Xperia Z1s and it's not a bad sensor for a cellphone.
    The updated improvements to the Z3 will be a step forward.

"Sony's newest flagship sports the same 20.7 MP Exmor sensor with 1.12 micron [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]pixels[/FONT][/FONT] as its predecessor, the Z2, but Sony touted that the kit now has the newer generation G [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Lens[/FONT][/FONT] optics, and other improvements under the hood, such as being the first flagship that can boast up to 12800 [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]ISO[/FONT][/FONT] sensitivity in night mode." ...phonearena.com

15. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I also own the Z1 and the camera to me is just so so. and as for the display it is just yuck, but I wanted a waterproof phone :rolleyes:

16. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Chris~
    Not sure why you would say the camera is really that bad...not sure what other smartphones you are comparing it to.
    The only issue I have with the display is the viewing angles. As long as I look straight onto the screen, it looks bright & sharp.

Majority of my shots taken are usually of food which I share on Facebook/Instagram & Foursquare...the highest quality isn't really an issue. :)

17. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    The files just seem over processed or at least not processed the way I would like, I don't doubt that the sensor is capable enough its just the software, also the fact that it only shoots full res in manual mode. Im kinda a phone geek and I tend to get a new phone every 8-12 months, and while the display isn't the worst ive seen its just isn't up to par.

18. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I'd be curious to see how the cam from cm11s faired on the z line... Same to be said for my oppo find5 with oppo ROM and drivers pics are clear and sharp. Not the case with third party ROMs like Omni or Cm. (sry for way off topic) I'd just really like to not see Sony losing money on the quality mobile devices they make. It's true I'm a Sony fan boy thru and thru. Still have yet to meet another Xperia X1a owner face to face. (also live in the sticks)

19. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I really believe that cyanogen mod is sort of the future for phones, but we shall see. And if your a sony fan boy how come you have a Gpad :p . I also have the G pad 8.3 and I love it. thought the stock LG rom was a bit too much for me.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I'll try to not junk up the thread. My first tablet ever was a HTC flyer. I adored it. Sony still wasn't yet making tablets. When I finally upgraded it was because I wanted pen support (fancy myself an artist but I don't think it's in the cards for me) So I got the Samsung Note 10.1 I quickly realized it was too much tablet and missed the smaller form factor of the Flyer. At this point Sony was making the Xperia Tablet but only in 10 inch size. Just recently Sony released their smaller tablet and I do believe it will be on my list of potential upgrades. But. To further answer your question. I was an early adopter of the Xperia x10a or. (Rachel) long story short I had a love affair with an unreleased phone. And when I finally got my hands on it was beyond upset with the lies Sony told about multi-touch and other features. It was a fiasco. Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. All washed away by my purchase of the NEX5r. I know not even in the same category but i've always loved Sony products. And always knew I'd return to the brand eventually. My newest found hobby has rekindled my love for Sony.

I am truly excited to see how the restructuring of the Mobile division at Sony changes their products. The Z line was definitely a step in the right direction and I think they have learned a lot from their mistakes in the past. That said I hope they can bring the same level of innovation and wow from the camera division into the mobile division as they blur the lines between the two I think they will find a product everyone can enjoy. (i hope)

• Like Like x 2