1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PalmGrip - anyone seen/tried this?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by NickCyprus, Jul 10, 2013.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Saw this the other day:
    Sony NEX camera Grip

I'm upgrading to a Nex-7 soon and this looks interesting. One of the things I didn't like on my 1st gen Nex-5 is the fact that its height/size sometimes feels akward/small for my rather big palms (especially when trying to handle the buttons at the same time). I realise that the Nex-7 is slightly bigger than the 5...

Would love to hear comments from anyone who's used this ;)

2. Electric Shepherd

Electric Shepherd TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Ben
    Interesting, not seen one of these before. Looks a nice way to add an Arca Swiss fitting as the plate I use for my tripod would be uncomfortable if I left it on after use. Bit pricey, but no worse than any Kirk or Really Right Stuff plates I guess.

3. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I have one. I guess it's fine as a grip if you have big hands, but I use it because the Arca dovetail on the base is a solid connection to my tripod. And the battery/sd card door is still accessible.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya, nice option but I just don't have a need for this.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah, I don't have much need for this since I don't do a lot of tripod work. Was only considering it just for the better grip factor...maybe a half case would do the same job...

6. clydestuh

clydestuh TalkEmount Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    I would recommend this though I don't own one. Reason being when I shoot with the 7 for a prolonged period of time the palm of my hand does get a bit sore. I don't have big hands at all, quite small actually but the bigger hand grip area of the 7 compared to the 5 isn't much at all. Thanks for the post, I think I'll get one :)

7. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    That looks pretty good Nick and remember, just because you don't do much tripod work now doesn't mean you won't later.

I use a half-case with my NEX-7 and the added height is perfect for me. I would suggest that if you get a half-case, get one that has a cut-out for the battery and SD card. It would be a pain in the ass to have to take off the case every time. Also make sure it allows the LCD screen to move freely.

i-6qxDtK4-L.

i-8gKwhsL-L.

i-jhx3Qs2-L.

8. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I bought a Sunway Photo L bracket for my NEX 7. This bracket gives you an Arca plate on both the horizontal and vertical sides and you can switch from one to another while maintaining the same field of view I got it from B&H in N.Y.C. and it was only about $70. It is well made and only adds two ounces to the camera weight. It might fit other NEX bodies but I'm not sure about that. The vertical plate is removable but I don't know why you would want to do that.