1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Packing up for vacations. What to take?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alaios, Aug 28, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    I am leaving soon for three weeks for vacations, so there is time for packing up.

The lenses I have are written on my signature:
    1. Which and how many of those lenses would you get? Of course there are different options but I am curious to see "how you think" on selecting between your loved ones

2. Which would be needed accessories to take?

3. What to take for cleaning my lenses and even more importantly my sensor? I will be at the beach so I guess I will need to have some good stuff to clean afterwards.

I would like to thank everyone for the support

Regards
    Alex

2. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    When I have same lenses as you, I will take SEL16, Sigma 30 and MD 50/1,7. Or only SEL 16 and MD 45/2. Not more. Ideally with MD-NEX tilt adapter ;-)

3. Ken

Ken New to TalkEmount

Aug 1, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Ken
    1. I'd take the 18-55 zoom as a general use lens for walking about town. Along with that I'd take the MD50 1.7 and the Sigma 30mm.

For the beach, you might want to take the 135 if you want to be sneaky and take pictures of the pretty girls on the beach. :biggrin: (Just don't let your wife catch you!)

2. You'll want to take some plastic food storage bags, maybe in the 1 liter size to keep things in, especially on the beach. Sand gets everywhere and into everything! For this reason, I would NOT change lens at the beach. I've read of some bad things happening to cameras and lens because of sand at the beach.

To protect your camera from sand, keep it, and any accessories, in a bag, and do not set the bag on the sand. Also, do not let any salt water spray get on the camera - salt water is very bad for cameras and lens.

3. As for lens cleaning, you have a lot of options. Take along a blower or a brush, lens cleaning fluid, lens tissue/microfiber cloths. If available in your country, the Zeiss lens cleaning cloths are pre-moistened and do a great job and you won't need any fluid. I've never used one, but some people really like the Lens Pen and the Lens Pen has a brush built in.

For the sensor, you'll need a good blower to blow any dust off of the sensor; Giotto's is a good brand, as it filters the air - a cheap blower might not have a filter.

There are many specialized brushes, fluids, etc. for cleaning sensors. You'll need to look online for information on these and how to use them. Do NOT use your lens brush to clean your sensor - the sensor brushes are specialized, and should only be used on a sensor. And the sensor brushes must be kept very clean.

Ken

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Well I have used a lens brush on my sensor before: Actually this one:
    Lenspen SENSOR KLEAR - für alle DSLR Sensoren geeignet | eBay
    and I do think I destroyed anything.

Regards
    Alex

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That is not a lens brush, Alex. That's a sensor cleaner. It says "sensor" right there in the name. The LENSPEN lens cleaner looks somewhat similar, but is a completely different item. And Ken is correct, their lens cleaner should not be used on your sensor.

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Well I mixed the words again. but I guess at least used it right...

7. pshojo

pshojo TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 5, 2013
    I'm just coming into this conversation. I just bought first camera(nex6) that has interchange lenses. I received bottle of fluid/tissues/cloth/brush with bulb.

How do I use this to clean and what?

8. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I don't know where you are going or what you are planning to shoot but here is an old post from a NG Traveler photographer:
    http://bobkrist.com/whats-in-the-bag-lately/

On my last beach vacation in Turkey, I didn't need a long zoom as I photographed more family/landscape but when we were in Cape Cod, a long zoom helped for animals on the beach:

original.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pshojo

pshojo TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 5, 2013
    I'm going to Spain, Madrid and Barcelona for 10 days.

10. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    When I travel I really don't like to carry a lot of stuff so I would tend to just take a decent all around lens and call it good. On my last trip to Europe I packed several lenses that I KNEW I was going to need and planned for all sorts of situations and in the end I used one lens 95% of the time. What I found out is that photography is not why I travel...I travel to experience stuff and a camera is a fun way to document that. That trip taught me to travel light because the easier the camera is to have with you the more likely it is to be with you at those amazing moments in a trip.

if I were leaving today I would pack my 5n, Minolta 35-70/3.5, several SD cards and a spare battery. If I wanted to go even smaller I'd pack my Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus instead of the Minolta. I have found from experience that I rarely use a long zoom when traveling unless I am going specifically to shoot wildlife photos.

11. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Barcelona has remarkable architecture. Having your lenses I would take the 16mm, perhaps even get an UWA adapter for it. I would also take that 28-85 lens, and invest a little money into quality teleconver - the legacy ones are cheap, small and light. This way you're covering wide to 170mm range with minimal weight and bulk. That TC is optional, though. You should be all set with these two lenses, and with a decent IQ, too.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

12. pshojo

pshojo TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 5, 2013

What does tele converter do? Might be dumb, what is the IQ. I'm new to real camera world

13. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    TC is basically a magnifier. You lose as much aperture as you gain in FL. So with my 2x TC, a shot with lens set at f4 and 70 mm becomes f8 and 140mm. There's some IQ degradation, mostly contrast, but that can be taken care of in post. Since the TC is tiny compared to a Tele, it makes sense to bring it instead when I don't expect to use Tele much.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2