1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

p3 touch-n-go's

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Bimjo, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Had a P3 making roundy-rounds at the airport today. Decided to try out the 55-210. I'm not overly happy with them, but it's probably operator error. I have a hard time hand-holding long lenses. These are ok for the web, but not for anything else.

p3_go_around03.

p3_go_around07.

More shots on my blog.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I know your not too happy with them but they're actually pretty good mate.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Like I said, they're fine this size but the full size are just a tiny bit out of focus. Enough that you notice it anyway. I'll use the tripod next time and see how that works. ;)

4. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    People would be surprised at the amount of computing power employed on these ASW
    aircraft. (former Navy computer geek)

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    pleased

You should be moderately pleased. I have seen better, but on much more expensive equipment.

A question about your image though. Right where the wings, wheels and body all come together it looks like there is a whole chunk missing.

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    That's actually the shiny underside of the wings/flaps reflecting the sky behind the plane. Looks weird doesn't it? Here's a 100% crop of the original RAW file.
    p3_go_around07crop.

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That makes sense. Just looked very weird.

8. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Bimjo, is your 55-210 a Sony E or a Tamron?

If it's a Sony (and in case you haven't already done so), check your Setup menu and go to "Lens Comp: Chro. Aber." and make sure it's switched-on. Being a native lens, the NEX software should recognise the lens and get rid of that blue fringe around the wheels, automatically.

Also, if you use the 16mm Pancake indoors for architectural shots, it pays to switch-on the "Lens Comp: Distortion" to get rid of the barrel distortion. You'll see the distortion on the screen during composition but after you take the pic, it'll be gone on playback.

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It's a Sony E mount. That's a good heads up and all three (CA/Shading/Distortion) are set to Auto, unfortunately it has no effect on RAW files, just the jpgs. Since there is no lens correction profile in ACR for the 55-210 you have to do it manually. Since I wasn't particularly awed by the sharpness of any of these shots I didn't bother correcting the CA or anything else. ;)

It was a "fact-finding" mission more than anything else and proved that while I'm getting better with age I still can't hand hold a 200mm lens, no matter how good looking I am. Tain't fair, but such is life. :p

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yes, it do. :)

11. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    It looks pretty good to me! - the hand held image of the plane I mean, lol :)

Thanks for the heads up on the Lens Comp corrections not working when shooting on RAW. I did not know that.

12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thanks, they're fine this size, not so much if I wanted to print them. :)

I should rephrase my comment- the camera doesn't apply the corrections to a RAW file, but if there's one available (assuming your software supports it) you can apply them when you process the file on the computer. There isn't one for the 55-210 in ACR, but you can use the one for the 18-200 in a pinch or as a starting point.

13. Djarum

Djarum TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Very nice.

14. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thanks. :)

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Good stuff!
    I remember being stationed with those at NAS Keflavik :cool:

16. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thanks RT. :)

Apparently they are being phased out in favor of a jet, though I wonder how that'll be better for long slow loiter time.