P&S alternative?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Bimjo, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
  2. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    This is a very good idea. I would definitely be interested if the quality of the shots are up to snuff.

3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    One MAJOR advantage would be if you could have the lens way up above the crowd but view on your smartphone LCD back down much closer to your face.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Looks like it will be (another) unreasonable expensive gadget from Sony...

6. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Looks like the fancier model will be RX100 guts. A hacked-down P&S or a super hot-rodded cell phone camera, depending on how you want to look at it. If the size and price points were right and the thing worked elegantly enough with my phone, I could see it being a nice, extra-pocketable solution.

7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It looks like a cool little gadget, and I'd love to play with one. But I'm going to be very surprised if they price it for less than US$500.

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I'm thinking back-up camera. Throw this in the bag and forget about it until something (heaven fobid!) happens to the NEX and pull it out and continue to march as it were.

9. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Of course, if someone could put out an app that could focus my Android phone's built-in camera more reliably, that would be almost as good. ;)

10. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Why not have an expensive point and shoot camera if you need to have the lens with you all the time?

Alex

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It's a niche product. It's not going to be for everyone. It won't make any sense for a lot of people. But for those people that find this as a solution to a problem they have, it'll work. I have no need for a great many things, but I don't begrudge other people wanting them. :)

12. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    true,,,and is true that it will sell as people these days are addicted with their phones.. that is for sure? And of course is not a companys job to make products that make sense.. they make products for profits and this one would of course sell. the market awaits.

13. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    My buddy's GF has one. She likes photography but not PP and is active on FB, Instagram. She can take better quality pics and post instantly to the social network du jour. She is excited about the camera and greatly prefers it to her APS-C DSLR. But it is not the photographic experience I want.

This interview amongst other interesting topics explains Sony thinking behind the QX cameras
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/new...w-what-does-it-take-to-change-the-camera-game