1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Overheating - no flash

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Trotterjay, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Trotterjay

Trotterjay New to TalkEmount

Aug 9, 2013
    CT
    Jay
    I've been a Nex 7 user for well over a year now, generally I'm quite pleased. I'm used to the video over heating. The time it takes varies.

However, I shot a 4-1/2 minute video the other day then immediately went to shoot some images indoors using my HVL-F58 AM flash. The flash wouldn't go off. I checked all my settings, tried again, but the flash wouldn't work. I took off the attached flash and attempted to use the pop up flash. It also wouldn't fire. I couldn't get it to come back and was forced to shoot all my indoor shots via available light. Fortunately I had my Zeiss 24, F1.8 on. However, there went depth of field. So when I got back home a couple of hours later both flashes worked fine and have been ever since.

I can only surmise that the camera over heated from the video and shut down my flash capability as a precaution. Any one have a similar experience or any comments on how I can improve the situation?

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    First, welcome to the forum. :)

Some folks have had some amount of luck helping the overheating problem by leaving the LCD screen open a bit to let air circulate between it and the back of the camera. Others have turned the LCD off. Just like the variable time factor, it seems to be hot-or-miss whether (or how well) it works.

3. Trotterjay

Trotterjay New to TalkEmount

Aug 9, 2013
    CT
    Jay
    Thanks Bimjo,

Actually those are two good tips and I will start doing that. In addition I've read that you should buy the fastest card you can buy.

I never read where anyone encountered the flash problem and I just wondered if it was uique to me.

Trotterjay

4. Archer

Archer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    I saw one YouTube video where they showed the back of the camera is covered by a sticker and if you remove the sticker you see the back of the camera is covered in air holes, if you wanted to you could always remove the sticker to allow the heat to escape but then more likely a drop of water might get into the camera.