1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Our Lunar Neighbor

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Hawkman, May 9, 2014.

1. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    This is my best Moon shot so far using the Celestron NexStar 6SE on my A3000. This time I got the settings adjusted better, and focus has improved from my previous shots (seen in my A3000 - Adapted Lenses thread). It's still very, very tricky to focus this sort of thing. As a 1500mm, f/10 "lens", with an attached 2X Barlow on the T-adapter, the Moon takes up more than the whole frame and moves fairly quickly across the frame (when not using the tracking motor in the scope's computerized alt-azimuth mount).

So here it is: ISO 800, 1/250, Shutter speed priority, JPEG, processed in Snapseed on iPad (enhanced brightness and contrast), and NOT cropped at all (although the image was reduced in resolution by the iPad/iCloud in the transfer)...

13959923968_9d38cd5569_o. Moon via Sony a3000, Celestron, Snapseed for iPad. by SRHawk64, on Flickr

Next steps... practice focus more (try Manual Focus Assist some more, focus peaking does not work well for this), and get a remote shutter control (this baby shakes)!

• Like Like x 14
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great detail

• Like Like x 1
  3. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Nice shot!

• Like Like x 1
  4. jade_monkey07

jade_monkey07 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 24, 2013
    Nice shot!

I dont always drive where others cant. but when I do, its in my Jeep. Stay muddy my friends

• Like Like x 1
  5. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    looks sweet, almost like it was taken from Apollo 11

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    And we're back! Now that the moon has gotten around to about half full again and is in the right place in the sky at the right time for my location, I've given it another shot. I think I'm getting the hang of focusing the Celestron. However, it is clear that I need a remote shutter release. But, I'm happy so far.

Here are a couple from tonight: (and this time almost SOOC with just a minor boost in exposure in iPhoto... no Snapseed magic this time)

14355434224_1bc6ee4ed7_o. Half Moon In Close by SRHawk64, on Flickr

14169652868_abb4cdb090_o. More Half Moon In Close by SRHawk64, on Flickr

Both at ISO 800, 1/100.
    Thoughts?

• Like Like x 4
  7. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    So cool seeing that close up! In lieu of a remote shutter, you could use the 10 second timer function...

• Like Like x 1
  8. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    I think I can see Neil's footsteps. ;) great job!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    That's a good idea! Thanks, I'll give it a shot next time. Only issue I see is that in 10 seconds the moon moves almost entirely out of frame. Amazing how fast the Earth rotates. I suppose I can "aim" accordingly though... "Aim at where the puck is going to be, not where it's at."

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

10. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    maybe the 2 second timer will suffice then to make it easier :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Very good point... I'll try that.

12. BruPri

BruPri TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    It usually takes more than 2 seconds for any vibration of the rig to "settle down" after any kind of adjustment.

13. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I do tend to agree, normally when I'm using my tripod I use the 10 second option.

Sent from my C6903 using TalkEmount mobile app

14. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Hmmm, just checked my menus... It seems the A3000 has only the 10 sec delay, and the 10 sec/3 shots setting. No 2 sec delay timer that I can find.
    "Aim where the puck is going to be," it is.

15. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Oops, sorry... turns out there is a 2 sec option available on the a3000, it's just buried a little deeper. But you all probably knew that about the glorious NEX menus.

16. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    you know how the nex is with its menus, its like an easter egg hunt ;D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Narenek

Narenek TalkEmount Regular

Oct 1, 2013
    Northampton England
    Nice shots :) Did you get a tracking mount with the celestron? If so the next step would be to set it up for tracking the moon and taking multiple shots then stacking. You could do it manually but with such magnification it might be tough

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Yep, the Celestron has a tracking mount - their NexStar system - but I haven't tried it yet I'm ashamed to say. I was also a little concerned that the tracking motor itself might introduce some unwanted vibration. I will give it a try soon though... when the current rain clouds disperse. ;)

19. Damovich

Damovich TalkEmount Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    I'm in awe...incredible moonshots, the amount of detail is astounding, the best I ever did on the moon werent even a third the enlargement's these are (I also see Neils footsteps down there :biggrin: ).

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Thanks. And it helps to have a "lens" with a 1500mm focal length, not to mention a 2X Barlow added to that. Hmmm, does the 2X Barlow lens fitted into the T-adapter effectively make it a 3000mm focal length lens? I'm not sure how the telescope terminology translates to photographic terminology. I'm still new at this.