Osselle Caves in France, A7 with Miranda 24/2.8 and Nissin i40

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Narenek, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Narenek

Narenek TalkEmount Regular

Oct 1, 2013
    Northampton England
    On a recent trip to France my partner and I managed to dump the kids on the inlaws and get a morning visiting some nearby caves. I took along the miranda 24 (found in a charity shop for the princely sum of £5) rather than the FE24-70 for the extra stop.. but ended up using the thing at F8 most of the time anyway to get more depth. Almost all shots are using the Nissin i40 in TTL mode and ISO400. Manual focussing was tough due to the low light so a couple are not quite focused but near enough that without close examination they look ok

Editing was mainly done in Lightroom to boost the exposure and bring up the shadows and saturation. I'm impressed by what I could recover from the RAW files without too much noise creeping in. Photoshop used to remove some people from the darker areas and resize.

Early shot taken before we were told we could use flashes. ISO 2500 and F2.8. Really had to boost the shadows so there is a lot of noise (black marks) on close inspection, also shallow depth means some OOF areas. Still I liked the shot and masked off the edges so they weren't boosted for a natural vignette and adjusted colour balance in Photoshop (removed a yellow caste and added some blue to the shot)

My partner getting in on the shot

And again

• Like Like x 6
  2. Narenek

Narenek TalkEmount Regular

Oct 1, 2013
    Northampton England
    Bah original pics had the URL for the thumbnail not the actual pic.. edited with pics that can actually be seen this time :)
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Amazing what goes on in the bowels of the world.