1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OSS Lenses and Tripods Question

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by TedG954, Dec 4, 2014.

1. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    Nikon advises to shut off the VR (Virbration Reduction) in a lens if you're going to use a tripod. I guess the counter-shake creates a shake went held steady via a tripod.

Is there any problems with using OSS lenses with a tripod?

Thanks in advance.

2. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    I just turn OSS off when mounted on a tripod. Not sure what you mean by "shank"?

• Like Like x 1
  3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    You don't want stabilization on when lens is on tripod. The lens may start to "hunt" for vibration which can actually cause vibration.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi TalkEmount Regular

Feb 2, 2014
    22nd District Vienna
    Ian Fenn
    I suspect the new 5 axis IBIS Sony has introduced will change that principle and we will be able to leave that form of IBIS on.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Unless Sony puts out documentation that advises leaving on IBIS on tripods, I see no value in tempting fate. I get that it's an additional step to turn off the IBIS, but if I am going to set-up a shoot that requires an mounting the camera on a tripod, it must be pretty important I get the best results. In that case, I am going to make that 1 additional check and turn off IBIS because I know that works.

• Like Like x 3