OSS lens

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by isa, Apr 19, 2017.

1. isa

isa TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 14, 2017
    can you tell me what lens, Sony or otherwise, that are OSS that you would recommend? I just bought the a6000 and now I am shopping for a good lens. I would like a prime 35m or under but not opposed to a zoom if bit is really sharp.

thanks for your help!

2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Particularly when you include 3rd-party, "35mm or under" leaves a lot of options on the table. What is the widest you would want? Is manual focus OK? How about adapted lenses? Do you have a budget?

I thought the SEL35F18 was a great native APS-C lens and has OSS (sold only to help fund my A7ii). Also relatively affordable at $448 retail new.

3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I highly recommend the SEL 50mm 1.8. Especially if you are looking at doing portraits or landscape shots.

The SEL 35mm 1.8 is also good but I personally think it's a bit overpriced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. isa

isa TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 14, 2017
    I should have given more details, sorry. I have the 35m that I am musing with an adaptor. I want something more wide that is AF. I am wondering if sigma/tamron has one that mis OSS. also under $999n would be awesome. anyone have one they really like?

5. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    The only aps-c e-mount primes with OSS I believe are the SEL 35mm and 50mm. The SEL zooms do have OSS. I own the 10-18 which is a good wide zoom. The 16-50, 18-55, 18-105, 16-70, & 18-200 all have OSS.

• Like Like x 1
  6. isa

isa TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 14, 2017
    I was just looking at Sonys site at the lens. I like the 24m but see it is not OSS. (I must have due to a disability) anyone use a zoom that you are really happy with?

fractal 10-18m is on my list I am looking at. do you find any other uses than landscape with it? I do a lot of landscape in the fall (oct for me) but during the summer never so I am thinking something for now. uuuggghh I need a money tree in my yard lol.

thank you!

7. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    For what it's worth, here's a list of lenses at B&H that match your criteria. I've included full-frame lenses, which you can deselect at the top of the list - they are more expensive.
    (If you click a link from talkemount when you go to buy, the site gets affiliate credit, which helps keep the site going.)

Mirrorless System Lenses | B&H Photo Video

8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I recommend the 18-55mm kit zoom. It's OSS, and the image quality is fine. Wide enough for landscapes, affordable, light, and a good walk-around lens.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. isa

isa TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 14, 2017
    thank you! I will check it out!

10. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Another one I might recommend, depending on your budget and your needs, is the Sony E PZ 18-105mm f/4 G OSS. It doesn't seem to show up on the list linked from B&H above for some reason (don't know why though - it's under $999 and has OSS).

It usually goes new for around $600, has OSS, and covers a very useful range from 18mm to 105mm (27-157mm full-frame equivalent), wide to telephoto, has a nice constant max aperture value of f/4, and has a very smooth power zoom functionality. I find it to be a great travel and all-purpose lens.
    It's only drawback, in my mind, is that is a tad bit large, dwarfing the 16-50 and 18-55 kit zooms as well as the premium Sony/Zeiss 16-70/4.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Looks like an error in B&H's database. If you take off OSS the 18-105 shows up, but the description clearly states it has OSS. :frown:

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. isa

isa TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 14, 2017
    is the 18-105m really heavy? I had looked at it too. decisions, decisions. I can only buy one lens for now and it is so hard making the choice.

13. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Well, it's not really so heavy, but it is big... longer and much thicker than the 55-210 I already had. With a 72mm filter thread it has a huge front lens element... for an APS-C E-mount lens.

If you are looking for a reasonably sized lens for everyday carry-around, I would say the 18-105 is not it. You might be better served with the 16-50 or 18-55, or even the 16-70 if you can afford it. But if you are looking for an all-in-one lens for travel and vacation, or other use where telephoto zoom beyond 55mm is needed, and one with good image quality across the full zoom range, then it is a good choice... if the size doesn't bother you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. isa

isa TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 14, 2017
    the main thing I want is a sharp lens but also a carry around lens. I have the 35m which I love the sharpness. (a mount). I had heard the 16-50 was not that sharp.. is that true? that is the kit lens correct?

15. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I had the 16-50 kit lens and was quite pleased with it, it performed better than I expected and its very compact. I sold it and got the 16-70 f4 lens and I love it, some folk don't like it and think it can be soft etc but I have no issues with my copy.

• Like Like x 1
  16. isa

isa TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 14, 2017
    you have some gorgeous photos!!

17. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Okay, I thought I'd include a link to DxO's DxOmark listing of Sony E-mount (APS-C, not FE) lenses, sorted by sharpness.
    Camera Lens Database | DxOMark

And here is a screen capture...

While DxOmark may not be the definitive arbiter of absolute lens sharpness rankings, and like all such tests, sample variation could play a huge role in shifting any ranking, it's at least a place to start.

Looking at their list - which, again, I have limited to APS-C lenses tested on the A6000, and sorted by sharpness rating - you can see that the top 4 lenses for sharpness, the Sigma 60/2.8 DN Art, Sigma 30/1.4 DC DN, Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8, and Zeiss Touit 32/1.8 all lack OSS or image stabilization. The top rated lenses that include OSS are the Sony 50/1.8 OSS, Sony 35/1.8 OSS (DxO doesn't list it as having OSS, but I'm sure that it does), and, interestingly, the 18-105/4 G OSS.

So, I would say that if in-lens stabilization is a top priority, along with sharpness, then those three lens are the ones to look at first. And of those three, the 50/1.8 OSS is the clear leader by several points - in fact, with a rating of 13, it actually ties the Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8 and Zeiss Touit 32/1.8 for sharpness. If its short-telephoto, portrait focal length is to your liking, then it might be a good choice to look at first. It also has the benefit of being one of the most affordable Sony E-mount lenses.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    The 16-50 is not that sharp, no. But it's sharp enough. And unless critical sharpness is more important to you than good image quality, versatility and size, I'd get the 16-50.

• Like Like x 1
  19. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    None of the three lenses in my kit have OSS and one is manual focus too and I must say I haven't missed it.
    Only on one occasion could it have been usefull in my 24mm f/1.8. DSC08376.JPG

• Like Like x 4