1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Original or not?

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by ubodepaode, Feb 12, 2013.

1. ubodepaode

ubodepaode TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago
    I noticed an early moon sitting very low on the horizon and went to snap this quickly. Clouds were coming in so I knew I would lose the chance fast. I wasn't feeling the color version so I went B&W, added some tint and just a touch of sharpness. What are your thoughts? Both ok, both throw aways? Shot in jpeg, with the kit 55-210, fwiw.

0.5s ƒ/6.3 ISO 1600 210 mm

DSC01245 by petar.antonic, on Flickr

Moon light..or not by petar.antonic, on Flickr

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    The color version seems pretty washed out, was that your intention? The tint might be a bit strong on the moon given the lack of contrast in the body of the shot.

Conversely, the moon seems not bright enough in the B&W version. Even as a cresent it shuol dbe closer in brightness to the lights.

All subject to how my monitor is calibrated of course. ;)

3. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I see the same thing. I like the B&W version better personally, but I agree, the moon needs brightened which should be pretty easy to do in post processing.

4. Photo.Moto

Photo.Moto TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 1, 2013
    SoCal
    Chris
    B&W is the better version IMO, The RAW would have given more latitude to fix the moon. Seems to much of the moon is lost in the B&W.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah, I like the B&W version better between the two posted :)

6. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    To this picture I prefer the B&W., however, what has already been said, too bad of the moon.

7. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I agree with.... well everybody.

8. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I like both, but maybe try clipping the black levels in the color one, to see what that does?

9. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    I played around with it a bit. Will be happy to delete it, if you want. Used LR for a few minutes, with the brush adjustment. Also, played with tint on the colored version, to deepen the blacks without lowering the EV too much.

If you like it, I'd be happy to e-mail you a full res version if you PM me your e-mail. Otherwise, I'll delete it off my HDD, as it's your copyright. And, as others have noted, RAW would give you a lot more leeway in processing.

20130213-8470089914_5a4073ed49_k.

10. ubodepaode

ubodepaode TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago
    Thanks guys. I admit I'm a total noob wen it comes to PP, and only thing I use really is picasa. Need to acquire LR r similar and start shooting in RAW. Original looks washe dout but it wasn't intentional - it's just what it looked like outside, very gloomy/moody/humid kind of night.

WT21 - thanks. I don't mind you doing this - I like to see what could have been, or how others might see it better. At this point I don't really need your image, nor mine....I'll just scrap them as good practice and something learned =)

11. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I think you're just suffering from orange sky haze... it happens in dense and/or polluted cities and makes night photography quite hard, when compounded with high ISOs especially.

Honestly if I wanted to salvage that picture I would use a lot of dodging on the sky, brighten the moon a lot, and convert to B&W while reducing brown (red green) as much as possible.

12. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Yes. Yes you do :)

I wonder if a filter could have helped to cut down the haze.