Oregon Coast in Black & White

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by -et-, Sep 10, 2016.

1. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    A little while ago I posted a few color images of the Oregon Coast with fog rolling in, late in the afternoon. Here is an image taken slightly later, and several images taken the next morning before the fog had completely lifted. Partially because of the effect of the fog on color, and partially because it seems to be a better match for the atmosphere, I have converted these images to black & white.

- Tom -

Oregon Coast - B&W -1.

Oregon Coast - B&W -2.

Oregon Coast - B&W -3.

Oregon Coast - B&W -4.

• Like Like x 10
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I like those even better than your color set, Tom. And if you leveled the horizons, :2thumbs: IMhO.

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Wonderful feel to them! What part of the coast are these? I think the Oregon coast is breathtaking.

5. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    The color photos and the first of the black & white images are from just north of the town of Gold Beach, OR, which is located where the Rogue River reaches the coast. The last three B&W images were taken the next morning not far south of Gold Beach. FWIW, here is a shot of a part of the town of Gold Beach (population ~ 2000) and the bridge over the Rogue River, taken from the northwestern approach to the bridge.

BTW, in the event that anyone cares, all of the B&W images were shot with my Minolta 135mm f:2.8 lens, using a LA-EA2 adapter.

- Tom -

Oregon Coast - Color -4.

• Like Like x 4
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Ah OK, I know that location well. Funny, I stayed in the Motel 6 in your photo! I was trekking south on my bike looking for Gold Beach. And it was already night fall, with a dying headlight. I saw that brightly lit Motel 6 sign like a beacon of salvation. :)

Sun had already set and I didn't see the coast north of Gold Beach. Explains why I didn't recognize your photos.

15250209530_7eb4c29532_h. DSC05866 by wNG iMAGE aND dESIGN, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  7. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    To the OP - nice B&W set.

To @WNG@WNG - Will is there anywhere in the US you don't know well? :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Haha! :p Two years ago, I built a touring bike, took it onto a plane to Seattle, and trekked up to Vancouver, BC. And then rode down the coast to San Diego, CA. I thought the Oregon coast was awe inspiring. Seeing these great photos always brings back very fond memories.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  9. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Somewhere I have photo's of slides taken during family vacations up there on the Rogue River from back in the mid-60's. The Jet Boat ride is really pretty cool.

10. michealj

michealj TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 2, 2015
    Blaine, MN
    Nice, you captured the mood that a fog can bring to a location.