1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ordinary things

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by TonyTurley, Jun 12, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I took my newly acquired Sigma Zoom Master 35-70mm f/2.8-4 lens on an evening stroll yesterday. My aim was to test it while photographing things that were not flowers. While the push-pull zoom is a bit odd, I'm pleased with the images I recorded.

Tony

Attached Files:

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow, excellent shots!!! Especially #4 and #5 :thumbup:

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    Philadelphia, Pa
    It's a gift to be able to approach the everyday things we all so often let go unnoticed and pay particular attention to and make special by making photos of them and not feel embarrassed because they might not be Weston's.
    I would write more but my brain's on vacation until Friday....

Thanks...these are special and done very well....

4. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    These shots have very good definition and fairly neutral colours, so you should be pleased with the lens.

Photographing ordinary things, trying to make them look interesting, is the best photographic exercise of all.

If you can make a lamp post look interestning, then you know you will frame that elephant perfectly when you come across it on a safari.

5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks everyone.

Tony

6. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    There is a image in every scene, the question is, do you see it?

7. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Well put, Lucille. A relative saw these pics and said basically "Ho-hum, why are you photographing inanimate objects?" I didn't even bother trying to explain.

I hike a lot, and I'm constantly scanning and looking for different perspectives. It puzzles some people why some things catch my interest.

Tony

8. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    The key to photography as a hobby or profession, is to photograph the things that interest you. Then you can analyze why they interest you and use that to develop your style.

On a side note, I think that the photo sharing sites has the opposite effect. To compete for attention, people trend towards bold colours and contrasts that work well in thumbnail format and look similar to other succesful photos.