Ordered a Rokinon 14mm

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by slothead, Oct 9, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Does anyone here have any experience with the Rokinon 14mm lens? It's obviously only a manual focus, but at 14mm there isn't a lot of focusing needed. I'm guessing I will just leave it at infinity unless I'm doing some foreground close-up, to keep me from forgetting to focus it. I'll have to experiment with the DoF impact wide open (f/2.8 - significant).

Let me know what you guys know.
    Thanks,

2. grillec

grillec TalkEmount Regular

Mar 19, 2015
  3. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    that lens an be focused past infinity, you would still have to focus to get proper infinity focused or have enouth DOF to cover it

4. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks Carston. And thanks Dave, good to know.

5. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I rented it for a trip to the mountains. The size was just right. Was very sharp for me. Made Panos super easy. If I could i would have the lens right now.

6. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Matt, you mean the Ohio mountains? :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    please. Colorado

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Matt, you also mentioned that the lens made panos super-easy... Does that mean that you made single-image panos (that I would expect would be super easy), or that you were able to stitch multiple images? The latter seems like it would be difficult to me since the lens probably creates some curvature that the stitching software would have a hard time dealing with. Care to elaborate?
    Thanks,

9. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    The lens arrived yesterday and I mounted it on my A7RII this morning. Everything was fine until I half-depressed the shutter release, then all hell broke loose! The image in the EVF started jumping all around and the recorded image was just a blur. It is obvious that either the lens will have to be used on this camera with the In-Body-Stabilization turned off, and of course I could use it on a non-IBS camera. I don't like this because (1), it's another setting that I have to remember on the A7RII, and (2) It would work fine (I suspect) on my A7R but I was planning on selling that camera and can't see keeping it around just to use this lens. It's going back to B&H, perhaps in exchange for the 16-35, but I'm not sure yet - significant expense - but would be offset by the sale of the A7R.

10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That sounds bizarre, Tom. I know that you can tell the camera what the focal length of the lens is so that the IBIS works correctly. Is it possible that you had that setting at a significantly wrong value?

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    That's an interesting consideration David. Thanks for that input. I'll have to check that (although I can't imagine right now how that could be a factor). I actually had attributed it to the Rokinon design process and the newness of the IBIS capabilities of Sony. I've now attached images from both the A7RII and the a6000.

Image from the A7RII:

DSC00284.JPG

Image from the a6000:

DSC00654d1.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  12. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Tom - I would agree with David since there are no electronic connections to the camera from the Rokinon. It needs the focal length input for proper IBIS. http://briansmith.com/sony-a7ii-steadyshot-oss-fe-to-manual-lenses/

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Well done David! Your supposition was right on. My IBIS was set for 600mm. Reducing it to 14mm worked like a charm. Compare this quick test shot below to the first image in my last post in this thread. And Gary, your concurrence is acknowledged. Thanks guys.

DSC00287d1.

• Like Like x 2
  14. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    i didn't have any issues stitching multiple images together. but, i'm a novice.

15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Huh! I was just guessing, but I'm glad it worked out for you, Tom.

16. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    It's interesting that Olympus can do IBIS without knowing the focal length of the lens (I think), and therefor it may not be as effective (in fact it was weird the way it worked). But it makes sense as Gary mentioned, in at least one operating method, without the camera knowing the lens focal length (electrical connections between lens and camera), the cameras algorithm can't know how much gain to apply to the sensor panel actuators. With more processing horsepower however, the camera should be able to determine focal length based on inertial movement and image change (if it is in focus).

17. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Tom first I'm glad all is well. That said, are you sure the EM1 doesn't need the focal length? I have seen several threads where people explain how to set the focal length. I don't own an EM1, but I did extensive reading on it before choosing A7 and I never heard it didn't need input for IS on manual lenses to work properly.

18. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    No, I'm not Gary (hence my words "I think"), but I had two OM-D E-M5 copies and I never adjusted any focal length for the IBIS. It could be I wasn't using them properly, but never had any problem with them (that I recall). I had more Panasonic lenses than I did Oly lenses however and they all had that Mega OIS that may have overridden the Oly IBIS.

--- edit ---

I stand corrected. I just checked my old OM-D E-M5 manual and sure enough there was a place in the menu that you set the focal length, and the more I looked at it I did remember setting that value (very infrequently). Thanks Gary.

19. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'm a bit suprised. I always thought stabilization helps with telephoto lenses. Wouldn't imagine such a wide lens needed stabilization to work...

Congrats on the purchase Tom and thats a nice interior shot ;)

20. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    The problem was that it was turned on for a 60mm lens. If it was off completely it would have been better.

• Informative Informative x 1