Option for 14-bit uncompressed RAW coming to A7RII, A7SII

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Official, from the horse's mouth:

Source: https://alphauniverse.com/stories/s...it-raw-still-image-capture-for-new---cameras/
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Although I'm not sure how much, if ever, I was affected by it. Bravo to Sony for hearing the people and giving them what they want. It would be even cooler if they rolled it out to the entire a7 line.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
  4. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    at the very least included the other mkII in the fun. sheesh sony!
  5. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I have seen quotes where its phrased as "starting with the A7Rii" not just limited to those two. It will be REALLY lame if they cheat the rest of us like that. Kind of how LG kept telling the world that the LG Watch R did not have Wifi hardware and wouldnt receive the update even though there was evidence of their OWN presentations showing it had Wifi, FCC tests for the Wifi etc so after months of pressure they finally released the update for it. Basically since their new LG Urbane is the same hardware with a different look, they wanted to reserve the Wifi update just for it. I sure hope Sony does not play the same game as I have been supporting their mirrorless push like I was on their payroll! :D
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    The article says "... they have announced plans to add user selectable compressed or uncompressed 14-Bit RAW still image capture via firmware update to additional cameras beginning with the recently introduced α7R II full-frame mirrorless model."

So I think it's safe to assume the A7II will get this also, but they haven't named specifically all the ones which will be included.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    i seem to remember a very similar faux pas when sony (then Sony Ericsson) released their first android smartphone the x10a
    There were claims when it first came out in press release and whitepapers that the phone was capable of multi-touch. Phone released, no multi-touch everyone screamed foul. Sony comes out and says sry folks the phone doesn't have required hardware. Months later an update is released ENABLING SAID MISSING HARDWARE!!!!!

i've said it before and i'll say it again. if sony wants EVERYONE to know about their cameras and EVERYONE to use them. They should release an SDK and welcome developers to squeeze every possible bit and byte out of these cameras as possible. and in more ways than their engineers can dream of.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Promit

Promit TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    Uncompressed RAW was not at the top of my list, and I'll probably bounce between cRAW and RAW depending on what I'm doing. But I'm definitely glad to have the option, and I'm extremely glad that the haters will have to find some other, stupider thing to latch on to. This one was embarrassing for Sony to leave as a problem this long.
  9. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    I doubt that there will be many situations where the difference will be apparent. But, I hate to leave any quality on the table — and memory is cheap.

Thanks for the upcoming choice, Sony.
  10. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    Yes memory is cheap and for the cost of it given that I have a body that gives the option I will always just go for the highest quality option, the last hard drive I bought was £110 for a 5tb even with a 100mb file size thats lot of files per pound.
  11. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I wont really commit until I see and try the options available, but I tend to doubt I will go with the uncompressed option.

Yes memory is cheap and isnt an issue for me. But the A7r2 write times are 34MB/s and writing 90gb files to card is potentially going to be a performance issue. Also, say you want to go to Color EFex, the simple change from 24MP to 42MP made me upgrade my computer for performance reasons. I can only imagine that uncompressed raw is far worse.

BTW, I am not complaining about Sony introducing an uncompressed raw option - it is clearly a good idea. I just doubt I will use it in that I suspect that the quality gains will be outweighed by file size costs. But I guess we shall see.

My guess is that Sony chose its 'compressed raw' option on the basis it was the best choice between quality and performance and that might still be the case.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Deebs

Deebs TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 14, 2015
    I too doubt it's worthwhile, though it's obviously because of the whining become commercially worthwhile.

The artefact issue seems massively overblown. The places where you can see them - star trails with the exposure raised in post five stops - are rare, and even then not visible at the image level, only at the pixel level.

The only thing of interest to me is the possiblility that there might be a little more DR

But even then I'm confused - some of the people who really know the stuff talk like the DR limitation is not shadow noise as such, but that you might by raising the exposure simply expose the (super rare) artefacts, so your DR is limited by your reluctance to do that.

If that's the case I don't care, I have no such reluctance, because I know that the artefacts are super rare and not very visible.
  14. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    The whining at DPR still hasn't stopped, I see, since now everyone's convinced that it's uncompressed lossy or just uncompressed. Really silly. I mean even the biggest detractors admit it is a very rare issue, so on those very rare times when you think it may be an issue, you switch to that mode. Otherwise, continue to use the compressed version.

To be honest, the A7S (12 MP and all) doesn't need a compressed lossless mode. A7rII would. I think there will be both by the time the patch for the A7rII patch comes out. I mean, don't the whiners have the first clue how engineers think? That was probably the very first thing they considered after removing the compression algorithm. If it's feasible it'll be in there. I think with the A7sII, the main consideration is simply to demonstrate it is truly uncompressed.
  15. ChronoBodi

ChronoBodi TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 30, 2015
    I have to admit I don't see the artifacts in my pictures I've taken, but yes it is ridiculous the amount of comments that has clogged up a lot of photography sites (DPR especially). 99.5% of the time it doesn't affect the pictures to such a degree that it's "ruined". Is it me or is all the whiners just whine and don't take pics at all or anything?