1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Opinons on Canon FD Lenses I Bought

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by tjdean01, May 8, 2015.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 14, 2015
    The local camera store is having trouble unloading its vintage glass so they were super happy when I took a few off their hands at bargain prices! (appx half off eBay pricing....I wish they had some f1.2s!). I'd like to know how these lenses perform wide open on the A7? (I ask about wide open because stopped down I think they're all going to be good.)

Canon FD 85/1.8 - I want a fast, smallish portrait lens that can blur the heck out of the background. Wide open the FD 100/2 has just as shallow DOF, but I hear it's sharper and less dreamy. 100mm is fine for me, so should I be looking for the 100/2 instead?

Canon FD 135/2.5 - I have a Pentax 135/3.5, Konica Hexanon 135/3.5 and 135/3.2, Vivitar 135/2.8 and 135/2.8 Macro. The macro is worth the most but performs the worst wide open. I pretty much shoot all of these at f4 so my favorites are the small ones. I wonder how the Canon will compare?

Canon FD 28/2 - I already have the Vivitar 28mm f2.0 which is a very, very good lens. But for $40, I couldn't resist. The Canon is smaller but Vivitar focuses closer. Now the question is, which one do I keep?

Canon FD 50/1.8 - I have both Pentax 50/1.7 and Konica Hexanon 50/1.7 which are both superb. The Canon ($15) is pretty small though. How does it hold up to the competition wide open?

Vivitar 70-210/2.8-4 (Komine, FD mount) - Another steal at $40. Very big lens but supposedly highly sought after. I actually have one in PK mount too that I haven't found time to try yet!