1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Opinions please ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Nievesgirl, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Nievesgirl

Nievesgirl TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 28, 2013
    SoCal
    As some of you know I am going to buy a NEX 6. I was looking to get a kit but decided that I do not want the lens that comes with it. I found a body new for a good price online and was thinking of getting the Sel1855 ( used or new ). I just wanted a lens that was light to go with the camera and then later buy a canon mount so I can use all my other lenses with it.

Is the SEL1855 a good lens ?

2. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Well, the SEL1650 is smaller, wider and with the NEX-6 is corrected automatically so I would go with it really.
    The 1855 is not going to be really that much better if any and will be bigger. It is cheaper though so that is a plus.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Like all kit lenses, the SEL1855 has its detractors and its proponents. You have to examine posted pics and make your decision as to how "good" it is. I have no complaints with mine, but I don't try to shoot low light stuff hand held with it either. For what I do shoot it's fine for me. For every user that likes it there's a user that hates it. Only you can really decide if the lens will work for you.

4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    It's an OK lens. Decent in good light stopped down, but nothing spectacular. I would not buy it for more than $70, there's too many lenses with better IQ.

If you're OK with using primes, Sigmas (19/2.8 or 30/2.8 or 60/2.8) would give you much better IQ without losing AF. They don't have OSS but then the slow aperture on kit lenses sort of defeats the purpose of having OSS.

And if you're OK with manual focusing, there's a number of great choices. I absolutely love my Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 Macro, it's got fantastic IQ and a usable range.

Are you planning on using Metabones adapter with your Canon lenses ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

5. Nievesgirl

Aug 28, 2013
    SoCal
    Thanks for the feedback ! Are there any lens with AF that have same range as the SEL1855 ? The canon lenses I have are Sigma 105mm , tamron 17-55mm , Lens that came with my 7D ( forgot the mm ) sigma 70-200mm. Like I said I am going to buy a canon mount but would like a smaller lens that is of decent quality nothing super expensive. Primes are ok but if there is nothing similar with AF for the Sony. I would get a prime if needed.

6. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    There are those new G zooms that's just been announced but they are pricey and not as fast (f4 vs f2.8 on your Tamron... BTW I assume you meant Tamron 17-50/2.8 right ? AFAIK there's no such thing as Tamron 17-55).

Do you really need AF on all lenses ? MF with Focus Peaking is fun and very easy, and unless I have to shoot moving subjects (running kids etc) I use my MF lenses almost exclusively - the focusing is just so much more precise. BTW I also came from Canon, except that I didn't keep my DSLR gear after switching.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

7. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    I have both kit lenses - the 18-55, and the 16-50pz. Neither are stellar, but they are acceptable and usable. The Sigma primes are cheap and of good quality. You might want to try them at some point.

8. Nex6

Nex6 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    I think 16-50mm is pretty good. Honestly I have sigma 19mm and kit lens 16-50mm. although yes it is true that the sigma lens is a bit sharper and faster but the kit lens u have a wider range so I think I would go wither the kit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TalkNEX mobile app

9. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I personally prefer the 18-55 to the 16-50. I tested 4 units in all and both black ones were better it seemed than the silver ones. I ended up keeping the best black unit.

10. Nievesgirl

Aug 28, 2013
    SoCal
    yes the 17-50mm is what I meant. Well once I get canon mount all of my lenses would be MF right ? I just wanted at least one AF on the sony. I take lots of pictures at dog shows.

11. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    The 18-55 is an excellent lens, especially for it's low price and high capability. I routinely make 20x16inch prints and have never seen anything really bad in it's images. That said, for critical work I only use it at f8 or very rarely f5.6. It's essentially a complete set of general lenses in one box and a bargain price.......

If you are going to do really massive (dinner table size) prints or require large apertures, or you want to record art works withyout any trace of distortion,....then, possibly, you might want another specific lens. If you are going to use your NEX like 99.999% of other NEX's then you will be fine with the 18-55......NOBODY is going to look at your 20x16's hanging on an art gallery wall and tell you a 'better' lens would have helped.

The 18-55 surprised me when I first used the NEX as it was fashionable on the web at the time to rubbish it....which makes me smile now becasue those people showed up their ignorance, basically! The only things not to like are the crappy badly designed lenshood and lack of depth of field scale...also, front element is a bit exposed and needs a real lenshood (one for wide and another for tele shots)

From my first few minutes with the NEX and 18-55 I have shot good stuff with it including still life, portraits and quick snaps like this (which was successfully exhibited).....

mouthy.

12. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I'm a prime shooter as well. But someday you're probably going to want to sell it (or just give it away), and having the kit lens will make that easier. The price difference is usually pretty small.

13. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I love when people come up with stuff like this....

14. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    How are you going to control the aperture on these Canon lenses? There are probably some adapter allow you to adjust aperture, but don't assume any adapter will do. You don't want to have to shoot all your pictures wide open, on top of manual focus.

15. Nievesgirl

Aug 28, 2013
    SoCal
    I am not assuming anything?!?! I had no idea the adapters do not allow aperture control. ( How would I, when don't need one with my 7d :p )

16. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
  17. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    How are you going to change aperture on your Canon lenses ?

ADDED: Oops, sorry, that's been asked before...

I do not know of any adapter for Canon EF that allows aperture control, has good functioning AF and doesn't cost $400. Metabones one is $400 and by all accounts the AF is slow.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2