1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Opinions on seller rating

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WestOkid, Feb 20, 2018.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I recently bought a camera backpack from ebay and the experience wasn't great. This is a bit different for me because I tend to only purchase from sellers with near perfect ratings. This time I took a chance because the bag was one (LowePro Flipside Trek 450) of 2 bags I had been looking out for. I saw that his rating was good, 97, but not 100%. Most regular people have 100%, volume retailers are usually around 99% because you can't please everyone.

When I looked into what was causing the negative rating, it was things like changed shipping from priority to ground. Did not provide tracking information, had to ask multiple times to provide tracking. That said most times the item was as described. I decided to give it a shot.

The bag was described as mint and offered free priority shipping. The price was a bit high because B&H happened to be running a sale, so I made a reasonable offer and he accepted.
    • First thing I noticed is that he took a couple days to ship
    • Then the item is suddenly marked shipped priority mail, but there is no tracking information. This doesn't make sense if you know how ebay and USPS works, but I figure maybe there is a delay in the updates
    • I wait a couple days and still no tracking info. This means he must have manually marked it shipped.
    • I send an email asking why there is not tracking and he doesn't respond
    • the next day I send another email requesting the tracking so I have an idea and it doesn't sit in front of the house. He responds the next day with the tracking info.
    • When I check it, I find out that he shipped ground vs priority and the package will take over a week to arrive.
    • I get the the bag and it is in good condition, nothing broken. However, describing it as mint is ridiculous because it is clearly been used and is even missing some inserts. I would say the price I paid is still fair, but no longer a bargain. I probably would have been better off buying it new from B&H.
    So my question is would you rate him negative, neutral (given the price was still fair and the bag is in good condition) or positive because I'm nit picking?

• Like Like x 1
  2. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I'd be honest. Item not as described, shipping not as described, poor overall experience.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mnhoj

mnhoj TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    I'd ask for a return. Item not as described and have him pay for return shipping.
    If he had shipped priority on time I would have waived the item description.

Missing inserts is the cake off the icing.
    Three strikes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    If the transaction doesn't go smoothly, even if the item itself is alright, I give a negative. (Unless it's for things outside of the sellers control, like late delivery due to weather). I've only had to do that once in three years of trading on Ebay.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    If it were me, I’d try to get a refund. I’d hate that bag every time I looked at it. :cautious:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Yeah. I was going to rate it negative, but I have never done that before, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't going overboard.
    Thanks

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Was it advertised as “used”?
    I would definitely rate him negative based on what you had to deal with.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Yes it was advertised used. but mint condition. To me. Mint means it looks brand new.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. sapoeijoek

sapoeijoek TalkEmount Regular

Oct 22, 2017
    Texas
    Edwin
    Typical ebay description, I think the seller deserves a negative feedback if you're not happy with the item.
    By the way isn't amazon cheaper than everybody including ebay nowadays? have you checked amazon first?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    When I sell stuff I always am over cautious and try to show any and every defect.

Intentionally or not, this seller did not give you all the facts. Now some sellers may not fully understand the item they are selling but that is their issue, not yours.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The fact that you feel the need to discuss what happened to you is the answer that he deserves a negative. I'd be requesting a refund and let him eat the return shipping for simply the missing inserts. That's not mint! Sorry.
    The shipping nonsense is just icing on the cake.
    If you didn't save enough in your pocket to stomach the frustration, then as David mentioned, you'll be reminded of it each time you see those missing inserts.

I serve up negative reviews whenever it was deserved. Buyer Beware still holds true, but I'll be damned to allow a shady seller to get away with it.
    I've lost over a hundred dollars in fraudulent transactions in the past on ebay before Buyer's Assurance. If it wasn't for the buyer's protection policy, I'd never would have returned to Ebay.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Christop82

Christop82 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    EBay's policy is "The buyer is always right". Do whatever you need to. I would ask for a partial refund.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Legend

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Mint condition is an expression used to denote the quality of a pre-owned good as displaying virtually no imperfections and being in pristine condition relative to its original production state. ... As the name given to a coin factory is a "mint", then mint condition is the condition a coin is in when it leaves the mint.
    Mint condition - Wikipedia
    Mint condition - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

While I agree with you there is a big difference between the seller who simply forgot something or perhaps is not overly familiar with what he is selling and a seller who is a bit shady and trying to get one over on their buyers.

Start up a communication with the seller and that will tell you what to do. I've had to use Ebay's Buyer protection a couple of times after the seller refused to communicate after issues arise.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Start a return and go through Ebay's return procedures. Go with your gut instinct next time. I only buy from top notch sellers and I automatically block buyers who ask stupid questions. I once risked selling my camera to some nitpicking douchebag from Philly and he screwed up my perfect seller rating. I deleted that account and built-up a new one. Ebay sucks and I only sell there as a last resort.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks for the opinions guys. You're all a tough crowd.

So I decided to keep the bag because although not as described, it's fine. It's not my everyday carry. He now has 2 bad ratings in the same month for the same reasons, so he has incentive to change his act. I really think that's enough, and don't want to go through the whole return process. I guess I'm getting lazy and soft. :) 

• Like Like x 3
  17. Jeep Captain

Jeep Captain TalkEmount Regular

Dec 31, 2017
    Northwest Indiana
    Jeff
    Buyer beware. A couple years ago I was in the market for a backpack type camera bag. Someone on another board was selling one described as "like new" condition. Prior to purchase, I asked if it was from a smoking or non smoking environment and for photos of the inside, outside and zippers. The seller never addressed the smoking/nonsmoking issue and that he would not provide photos. His final statement to me was "take it or leave it". I left it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. orlcam88

orlcam88 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 24, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I'm late in this but I would give a negative rating. If you don't then the next person will do what you just did, which is to buy from this guy and then feel like you made the wrong decision. 97% is a decent rating and I don't blame you from buying from him. but bring that percentage down and you might prevent the next person from purchasing.

19. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    When shopping for photo gear, I consider everything below 99 % a bad rating, and there must be an extremely good reason (found by searching the seller's feedback) for something like 97 %. Usually I shy away from sellers with 99.5 % rating or less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    I can't recall ever buying camera/lenses off Ebay, only china plates/dishes and model train stuff. So far we've been lucky on both those types of items. Not sure I'd trust a camera/lens deal. I have bought off the Goodwill site, but go there with the knowledge that it is a total crap shoot going in. I've been pretty lucky there too.
    I would have left negative feedback though in your case Gary. Mint is MINT and used is USED.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.