1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Opinions on possible purchase please.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by snpr9696, Jan 19, 2016.

1. snpr9696

snpr9696 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    I'm currently running an A7ii with a few different adapted lenses as well as the native FE 55mm Zeiss. I'm looking to add a second camera for all around travel photography. Quick easy pics of my daughter in Disney World really. I was considering a few different cameras but would like to stay around the $500-600 mark. I was considering the rangefinder style MFTs but then thought possibly an A6000 since I already own e-mount lenses and adapters. I'm not concerned about the crop factor. I'm also not entirely convinced of the D100iii image quality and dedicated lens limitations.

I think my main goal is size and image quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Pick up a used Sony RX100III. That's what I take with me when I'm more interested in traveling light than in maximizing photographic potential. It's got a 1" sensor, a 24-70mm equivalent, fast lens, a pop-up viewfinder, articulating LCD, shoots raw images, and it actually does fit in a pocket.

It's Disney World. Would you rather be enjoying a vacation with your family or swapping lenses while they wait (and roll their eyes)? :rolleyes-20:

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Nightdiver13

Nightdiver13 TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 17, 2015
    Norcal wilderness
    Neil
    I have very similar requirements, and landed on the a5100. Even smaller than the a6000. The grip is not as nice, but it's so light (with proper lens) that it doesn't matter too much. You lose a hot shoe and EVF, but you gain touchscreen, which has made me a believer in touchscreens. Soooo nice to have.

The a5100 was actually the first Sony I purchased, with the kit lenses and the 35 1.8, which is a fabulous little lens. Now that I've added in an A7 and have a 28 f/2 on the way, I'll have to see if it's worth keeping the 35 around.

Also, if you're looking at the kit 16-50 lens, you'll likely read all sorts of damning claims on it. Well, sure it may not be a marvel of imaging perfection, but for a pancake zoom, I find the images to be just fine and dandy. The portability and convenience easily makes up for any technical shortcomings.

• Like Like x 2
  4. snpr9696

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    Great feedback all. Thank you. Keep them coming.

5. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr New to TalkEmount

Dec 12, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Jeffrey Behr
    A Panasonic 'FZ1000. 25-400MM(e), 1" sensor, plenty light and big enough not to get lost. I hate cameras too small to shoot easily.

6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Haven't done the high end P&S thing yet, but IMHO a Sony APS-C body is a pretty sensible complement to the A7. I like the idea of being able to share lenses and batteries.

7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Simple, all-around travel camera== a6000. Small enough to pocket in a jacket or cargo pant. Give up little in capability and image quality. Compatible lenses and batteries with your a7ii. And the lowered price is just icing on the cake.

8. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    It's pretty hard to beat the A6000 on price at the moment. Everything that competes with it on image quality costs twice as much or more.

9. snpr9696

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    Seems a bit bulky but thank you

10. snpr9696

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    So I guess it's between the A6000 or the RX100iii or iv. I see advantages on both sides. Never handled either. Is the A6000 significantly smaller than the A7ii?

11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I also got a used RX100 III after trying Canon G7X & Panasonic LX100... Sony fits to the pocket as David said. I had original RX100 also for 2 years until the lens stopped functioning... Canon g7x has a longer range, but lens is more compromised and more problems with af. LX100 has also 24-75mm 1.7-2.8 lens and its size is similar to A6000, but its 16MP m43 sensor is cropped to 12mm. It might be useful for portrait shots unless you want to do primes with A6000. You can find it used around $550. Usually Panasonic has the best low light af cameras... However I preferred the Sony 20MP sensor to 12MP cropped m43 sensor for other uses. Panasonic has also a new P&S camera, ZS100, with 1" Sony sensor + slower 28-250 zoom if you want to reach. There is not much reviews yet and will be available next month for $700...

• Like Like x 1
  13. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I have an a7, a6000 and an RX100. If I had to have ONLY two, it would be the a7 and RX100. Small, travel anywhere, punches way above it's weight.

Also, I recently left M43. Nothing against the system, but I want my a7 and my RX100, and so for my mid-level camera, I wanted to stay with the same basic control concepts. I was getting too confused between my GX7 and a7 when I switched bodies (though this was mainly during event shooting where I was using 2 bodies at the same time).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  14. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Sounds like a job for the a6000 to me. You can use the FE55 as a nice portrait lens on it, and any extra batteries from the A7ii would work with it.
    The a6000 with the kit lens is a good deal smaller and less hefty than the A7ii.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I'd second the A6k or RX100.. but a used NEX-6 isn't a bad deal either if you can live with 16MP and don't need the AF performance of the A6k. You could waste the rest of your $$$ on a SEL28f2 or ice cream in D-world :laugh:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    The a6000 has come way down in price, and IMO is a major upgrade from the NEX6 in the menu management side of things. If you want something that controls and operates similarly to the a7 series, then it's the a6000 over the NEX6. Again, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  17. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    When my wife and I travel we take two cameras, hers and mine. In the past, she has used two or three different Panasonic Lumix P&s cameras that gave very good images. She prefers the documentary ("we were THERE and saw THAT") type of photo so P&S worked for her. But on the last couple of trips, she has become increasingly disappointed with the large number of poor focus, poor exposure, why-did-it-do-that images her camera gave her. So she decided to get serious and get a "real" camera. I suggested the A6000 mostly for its inter-compatibility with my A7ii. The simple ability to share all lenses and batteries and nearly all how-do-you-make-this-camera-do-something-knowledge is a very great advantage. She bought the kit 16-50 lens and so far is happy enough with the size. Though we CAN exchange lenses, we do not intend to. She may get a more telephoto zoom for herself later. Or she may find herself happy with the 50mm and cropping. It is a very recent purchase, so we have not had time to really try it out much. I cannot say it is a tested strategy, but it represents my answer to your question.

• Like Like x 2
  18. snpr9696

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    I'm leaning more towards the A6000 as well. The size is nice on the RX100 I fear the trying to use it more on the manual side will prove difficult in comparison to the A6000. I don't mind the crop as I used to own a 70d. My thought was to but a nice fast 35mm equivalent lens on there and call it a day.

19. snpr9696

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    Ended up going with the A6000 body only because After seeing the camera in person I can certainly do without that lens as is way too slow. I would rather run a pancake on it or a prime 35 or 50mm. I held the RX100 and it was way too small.

20. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    A Sigma 19mm f/2.8 is a very nice combo. Better than the Sony 20mm pancake. A great walk-around lens.

• Agree Agree x 2