Opinions on OM 50/1.4?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Dec 18, 2017.

1. kevistopheles

kevistopheles TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    I have a chance to pick up a nice late model MC version (serial number over 1 million) and I'm wondering if it's worth it. I'm on the fence as I quite like my Hexanon 50/1.4 and so far I haven't been overly impressed with OM lenses on my NEX 7. I did like them on the 5n and Fuji however. I had originally been looking at after OM 50/1.8's thinking that it and my 24/2.8 would make a nice small travel kit. The 50/1.4 however is a not that much bigger and while not as sharp as the later 50/1.8's I like the bit faster speed.

2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Chris is probably the best person to solicit an opinion, as he shot his with a NEX-7.
    The MC has the superior and slightly cooler and more contrasty rendering due to the multi-coating. And it dropped the Thorium glass of the previous silver nose version.
    I own a silver nose and like the way it performs wide open. Better center sharpness and less bloominess compared to a Pentax Takumar 50-f/1.4 for reference.
    I like its bokeh better than the Hexanon 50-f/1.4. The Hex is cooler and has more micro-contrast and also sharper though. HTH.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    Might be worth picking up as another option at that FL.

4. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Like it better on the A7rii than NEX-7.

I've used it successfully for portraits, but if you are shooting wide-open (which I know you like) you have to be careful with the background - a busy background will give you some funky bokeh. Not sharp wide open, but works for portraits. Can give you a nice dreamy look. I often switch between this and the Rokkor 50mm 1.4. The Rokkor handles busy backgrounds better, but the Olympus overall has a small advantage in rendering. Color wise, the OM is somewhat cooler than the Rokkor.

Samples if you haven't seen them...

Showcase - Olympus 50mm f1.4 OM

5. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    hmmm...after looking at the images I think I'll pass on it. I have both the MC Rokkor and Hexanon 50/1.4's (and the Nikkor HC 50/2) and I don't see that the Olympus would much (if any) improvement over what I already have. My copy of the Hex 50/1.4 works really well with the NEX 7 so I think I'll just stick with that as my main 50.

Thanks for the info, it was really helpful.

6. A7shooter

A7shooter TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    I had when back when i shot with an Nex 7, at f1.4 and f2 its pretty sharp but the glowing and "haze" ruined the lens performs for me personally, i liked it more on the A7 though but after getting the canon fdn 50mm 1.4 the olympus severed no purpose.

7. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I own a late version of the 50/1.4 and a couple different 50/1.8 Zuikos. If I had to pick one of them as a general purpose 50 it'd be a late 1.8 ('Made in Japan'). My copy of the 1.4 is just too soft wide open, over the the top comatose and even at f2 my late 1.8 beats it in pretty much all regards. As far as I can tell the lenses of the 1.4 are clear and there's no fungus, maybe it's just a dog so it'll end up on eBay next week, together with the Fuji stuff ... enough is enough :) .

• Like Like x 2
  8. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    I just gave up on the Olympus lenses. I returned the OM 24/2.8 and the 28/3.5 will end up on sale at some point. For quite some time I have played around with OM lenses because I love how small they are but I just don’t like either the 28/3.5 or 24/2.8 with the NEX7 and I’ve gotten to the point where I am tired of buying stuff I won’t use. I know people like Olympus lenses but they’re just not worth it for me. I have a Hexanon 50/1.4 that works great with the NEX 7 a Nikkor 50/2 that is every bit as good and a Minolta 50/1.4 that is not far behind. I don’t need anything more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    I had an MIJ 50/1.8 and it was very very good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nexnut

Same here.
    Re. the 35/2.8 I've had two. One in the eighties before I switched from Olympus to Nikon and better 35 mm glass and one I got some time after the next big switch - from Nikon to Sony NEXes - almost 25 years later, lol. The second 35/2.8 didn't cut it for me either, wide open on any NEX I've owned (3, 5, 5n, 6, 7) it's soft and comatose with ... loads of CA (even stopped down) that's impossible to completely remove in post, no matter what I've tried. Maybe another dog but again ... enough is enough.

11. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    I know that Olympus lenses have a lot of sample variation (although I think more than other older lenses I've tried) maybe I've managed to get a series of less than ideal copies but I'm thrilled with my Nikkors so I'm happy to leave the OM lenses to some other hardy soul.

12. Nexnut

Optically the 35/2 Ai Nikkor I've used for many years was a
    'better' lens than the 35/2.8 Zuiko(s) I've mentioned, especially on film but the optically 'best' 35mm lens I've ever owned must have been the Sony SEL35f18 - unfortunately it had been designed for the NEX series and gives you a ~52mm FOV on those cameras, not exactly my thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.