Opinions on next purchase

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Synomis192, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    After using my NEX F3 for a year, I've decided that I would like to either:
    1). Upgrade my system to the NEX-6 or 2). Keep the F3 and purchase an EVF

The main reason I would upgrade is the fact that the NEX 6 has an EVF. The screen is terrible to use in direct sunlight so it's a pain to deal with some days. Also, the EVF is on the body, allowing me to still use an external flash. I do use the accessory port for flash on the F3 so I don't know how I feel to having to choose between flash/EVF.

Is the IQ/Noise performance equal for both cameras? I've seen specs on DxO that both have equal low light performance, DR and Color. I have this feeling that the F3 and 6 share the same sensor. Anyone here can give me a comparison between the two? Is it really negligible between the two?

Also, on a strange note. I dislike the fact that the base ISO of most NEX's are 200 and it feels very grainy even with low NR. I shot Canon and I always trusted ISO100 to be sharp and crisp. Does the 6 have ISO 100 and how does it performance against the base ISO of the other NEX's.

PS: The A6000 is a very, very viable option and it's such a good camera but I don't really think that I need a lot of it's features. I completely use MF so AF performance doesn't matter. Even if did get a native E-Mount, I wouldn't mind dealing with the 6's focusing. 24mp is overkill for my work (Largest print is 16x20) 11fps is on par to the 10fps on the 6 and I would rather get a used NEX 6 for a cheaper price than a new a6000 (Trying to save if I can) Unless some one can convince me other wise the A6000 is currently not one of my options.
  2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    IQ is the same across the three, except for the higher resolution in the A6000 of course. The A6000 doesn't cost much more than a NEX-6, so I'd go that direction right away because it uses the RX/Alpha menus instead of the NEX menus.
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Low light performance between F3 and 6 is about the same
    Yes, on the Nex-6 base ISO can be set to ISO100 ;)

Spec wise, the Nex-6 has little better image quality, color depth and dynamic range. 6 shoots faster at 10fps (vs 2,5 for F3 i think), has less shutter lag, goes up to 25600 max ISO, better AF with more focus points, and its lighter than the F3.

In my opinion either go for a used Nex-6 or if you want to buy new opt for the A6000 - personally if I were to upgrade from a Nex body other than the 6/7, then I'd choose the A6000 - just my 0,02c ;)
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I did this upgrade just a couple of months ago.

As mentioned the IQ of your shots is not going to change dramatically. What was the big motivator for me is the handeling. The dial wheels, FN button and built in viewfinder are great. Totally happy. The F3 is a great camera, just the handeling and access to features on the 6 is much better.

The A6000 has a few more features, for a great price. However the price of a 6 is dropping, and will continue to do so now that the A6000 is announced.
  5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    As Nick said, the NEX-6 can go down to ISO 100 and I use that whenever I can, it's visibly better than ISO 200 and I really like the smooth files at ISO 100. So it's not such a strange note in my opinion, even with the A7 I try to stay at ISO 100 although ISO 200 isn't that much worse.