1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Opinion Poll: A7s or A7II or wait?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by DigitalD, Nov 24, 2014.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    I know there is a few threads about the latest A7II announcement but I thought I would start one specifically for the 2 latest releases and give people a chance to give opinions to those thinking about buying one of these 2 Full Frame bodies.

These 2 cameras, though designed for specific applications, have a lot of overlap as well as many comparisons that may make it hard to choose between them. The the A7s is seemingly the king of high ISO imaging but the A7II is advertising 4.5 stops of stabilization which can also be helpful in low light situations, a higher MP sensor and better ergonomics not to mention almost $1000 USD less! And even though the A7II now has 24p for the cinematic feel it lacks the 4K capability of the A7s (if that is important to you). Jury is still out on the AF because no one has had a chance to test it yet but would that sway your opinion either way?
    OR you may think the best thing to do is wait and see what Sony has up their sleeve for the Pro A9 set to launch early next year.

Some useful links with info:

B&H A7II write up: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/news/just-announced-sony-a7-mark-ii-mirrorless-camera

SonyAlphaRumors A7II http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/?s=A7II

B&H A7s product page http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1044728-REG/sony_ilce7s_b_alpha_a7s_mirrorless_digital.html

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick

A7-II has a larger sensor than the A7S? :confused:

3. bartjeej

bartjeej TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 8, 2014
    ^maybe he meant higher resolution?

For myself, the mk2 offers enough over the mk1 to consider it, once it drops in price a bit. Specifically the IBIS and the supposedly better weather sealing, since I'm looking for a camera to use with an unstabilized lens in hostile environments. If the new features aren't integral to your use case, and you're not regularly pushing the limits in either resolution, super-high ISO or video, I'd say wait for a deal on the 1st gen models.

4. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Oops, thanks guys. Made the edit in the OP. Meant higher MP.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Hmm, depends if you're looking for your first FE mount body or planning to upgrade (already??). For most people, I'd say go A7ii. The A7s is mainly only better at ISO 3200+, so for most people, most of the time, the A7ii is better. Additionally, the IBIS allows a completely new type of shooting without a tripod. Being able to hand-hold a 1/2s or 1sec shutter is amazing, and I know it's something that people have been able to do on the E-M5. Allows for some real creative freedom.

Now if your pockets are deep, no question, wait for the A9. The A7ii will only be the latest-and-greatest for a short while, but it's not a quantum leap above the current generation. The A9 will probably be a much bigger improvement. But it will be costly and probably out of reach for most enthusiasts.

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I think the problem with Sony's (current) lineup is that it forces the consumer (us) to make compromises. Dilemmas that IMHO it shouldn't force us to face.

What I mean is that why do someone has to put priorities of what he wants more to have from a camera?
    Do you do lots of low light shooting - get the A7S. But why not give me more accurate and fast AF with hybrid AF instead of contrast AF?
    Do you want high res and great detail - get the A7R. But now why is the flash sync limited to 1/160 and not 1/250?
    Do you want a faster AF - get the A7. You get the idea.

I mean at least make these differentiations but at least offer also a body that has everything - even if that means an expensive body.

And even if we accept that dilemmas are "ok" for the hobbyists, its more of a problem for the Pro's that are thinking of going with Sony - the Pro's that prefer to have it all in one body and are willing to spend $$$ for the best tool for their job.

For me, no current Sony Mirrorless camera is perfect. Perhaps all these will change with the A9 Pro - I guess we'll have to wait and see...
    So, that's why I voted "wait for the Pro A9 announcement" :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I agree with Nick. Even as a hobbyist I'd be willing to spend more for an 'everything' body.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bwana4swahili

bwana4swahili New to TalkEmount

May 26, 2014
    If one wants the perfect anything, you'll wait forever! Buy what you NEED today and upgrade when the NEED arises in the future...

I've got both the A7R and A7S, and they're both great full frame cameras; go for it!

bwa

9. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    As I understand, Sony released these three bodies as a sort of live market survey experiment, and I think it will decide their future FF strategy.

The obvious answer was to wait and see, but if you can't wait, I guess it depends very much on what other gear you're going to have alongside. If you only have one camera, it's got to be A7 or A7ii (the all-rounders). If you're a landscape shooter, A7r, etc. But that all changes if you have multiple bodies. If you have a 24 MP A6000, an A7S might actually make some sense for lowlight purposes. If you have a 16 MP NEX, maybe an A7ii gives you the AF you've been waiting for (I know I felt the leap when moving to A7, and A7ii is supposedly faster).

In short, it depends!

• Like Like x 1
  10. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I will most likely upgrade sometime early next year to a FF body, but I will wait for the A9 as it will push all the other prices down. I don't really need a upgrade as I haven't nearly reached the limits of my nex-6, but hey the GAS is strong with this one.

11. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Agree with querza. This is definitely an 'early adopters' camera line right now that Sony is doing as a public test market. And as Nick stated, these cameras are far from perfect yet. But they are pushing the proverbial edge here and I think Sony is interested in gathering bragging rights for bringing some long awaited "firsts" in photography tech to gain more momentum for this line in general. It seems from what Sony has been indicating, they will be spending a lot of time within the e-mount category. Therefore, they have to sell products before they can justify spending more money on more R&D which in turn will bring us more products.

But consider this. This is the Mark II version of the A7 so at the very least its here to stay for a bit. This announcement is in leu of a Pro Line coming out. The A7II seems to be after the $1600 USD price range. (Still somewhat speculation because its still only been released in Japan) The A7s is $2400 +/- USD. So where will the Pro A9 come in at? $3200+? At that price I kind of feel its no longer a pro consumer or hobbyist camera anymore and is more focused on the Canon 5D III (or equivalent) crowd, which makes sense. And I'm not saying that's an astronomical price but definitely going to appeal to a smaller market. Canon 5D III and equivalent cameras only made up less then 2% of the market in 2012. Also I don't think it will drive the price down that much on the A7II because its priced for a different segment. So considering the sweet spot for a pro consumer camera is probably around $1200-$2400 USD (body only) I find the A7II a pretty hard camera to beat.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JonLi

JonLi New to TalkEmount

Nov 11, 2014
    Jakarta Indonesia
    Jon Li
    The IBIS is what attract me to A7-II but will try it on hand first before buying . The last time I tried A7r , I did not like the loud shutter shock causing vibration of the camera n coming from OMD E-M1 , I really think this camera needs good IBIS . I am a fan of manual focusing legacy lenses photographer .