Opening up the Amount lenses through the LA-EA2

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by alaios, Apr 22, 2015.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    I am creating this topic to allow some discussion in one recent idea I had since I am running out of lenses options at the price range I am looking for.

I am an auto focus guy so all the manual focus lenses for the emount simply are not for me.

I am of those complaining that the Sony created us good SEL lenses at very reasonable prices, but somehow left the story incomplete. So a SEL50 for me is the absolute balance between price and quality. There are better lenses at this focal length but you have to invest much more to get better features (the law of diminishing returns some of you taught me).

For example I think that we miss a short tele like a SEL85 at a more reasonable price range.

I had a look then on the LA-EA2 adapter as this gives me autofocus (note: the autofocus is not a super duper fast as the native a6000 lenses but is very very usable for still objects and moderately moving subjects). I will not have stabilization but since I shoot my work typically around and over 1/160 that gives me already many focal lengths to work on before thinking about blurry shots. In case I want to use a long-tele I could go for higher iso to keep a reasonable shutter speed. There is also a rumor that next nex type of camera might have IBIS on body (which that would be superb new for me although I do not count for that).

Now lets have a look at the costs for my case (prices would be in euros from ebay.de)

at the beginning I can buy the
    SONY SAL-85F28 EUR 199,00That is a very affordable lens that can be used wide open (as performance of 2.8 is similar as f/4).

Then I could also go for a zoom lens (every day zoom lens) that is around 400 euros
    Sony SAL1650 16-50 and offers a constant aperture of 2.8 (it also gets very good reviews). The lenses we have at the emount the SEL1670 Zeiss or the SEL18105 never got me the impression that is really worth the money (we might not agree on that)

Finally there are some travel zoom lenses like the
    SAL 18 200 EUR 229,00 that costs half of the corresponding SEL 18200 lenses (do you think that the SAL is worse in "optical performance" to the SEL one?). Even that lens can pay off the cost of the LA-EA2 adapter that is currently listed a bit over 200 euros.

What would you think of such plan? These are the pros I find
    -More lenses for what I shoot and few options with auto focus.
    -Prices at some of the lenses are more affordable for aps-c users (Sony looks too much concentrated on full frame users)
    -If you have few a mount lenses that allows you also to go dslr body when you fancy (although there are some rumors about a-system ... any ideas about these discontinuation rumors?)

Negatives:
    -Adapter makes the lens more bulkier (Althouth the two lenses I listed first are very compact)
    -No OSS, although I do not care much and a new sony body might include in body stabilization.

I still try to find a way to "escape" with the lenses options I have. I am mostly looking on portrait focal lengths (over 80mm equivalent up to 200mm) and I do not have primes that will not break the bank. A reasonable price for a good prime it would not be more than 300 euros. I also do not have a portrait focal length zoom lenses. The prime zoom lenses of the aps-c bodies are general purpose lenses and not portrait lenses.
    Psychologically I need to break free. If I not make I might even think to switch one day (although I find it to be a pain in the ass)

Comment as you like
    Alex

2. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I have the LA-EA1 (got for a steal) and the LA-EA4. The thing with the LA-EA2 and 4 is the use of the translucent mirror for AF. You will lose about 1/3 stop of light, which wasn't that bad on an SLT because of the stabilized body - but on my non-stabilized NEX-7 I do notice it when shooting indoors/low light. I started shooting an indoor swim meet with the "4" but switched to manual focusing with the "1" to gain some light.

Now, if you have the A7ii with IBIS then it's not an issue.

If you are considering the A7 series just know that the LA-EA2 covers an APS-C sensor while the LA-EA4 is Full-Frame. Although I have an NEX-7 I decided on the "4" with the thoughts of upgrading to FF with my next cam.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    so the LA-EA4 support the aps-c bodies (A6000) and the full frame ones (A7)?

Regards
    Alex

4. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Yes.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It gives you a lot more options if you are shooting still objects in good light.

You might also look at shooting with all Manual lenses, it opens up a whole world of lenses.

6. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Lately I have been thinking that if I could make a wish list for E-mount APS-C lenses, a fast standard zoom - something like the A-mount SAL1650 mentioned above - would be at or near the top (along with a more affordable 24mm, say a 24/2.8). It seems like every other mirrorless competitor (except Canon and Nikon of course) has a fast standard zoom, but not Sony. I know keeping size manageable is important and conflicts somewhat with a fast zoom for APS-C, but if Fuji and Samsung can do it, surely Sony can as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I'm pretty sure Sony is able to develop a fast standard zoom for APS-C. That said, to me it looks like every company with both a full-frame and an APS-C product line neglects its APS-C line when it comes to high-spec lenses. And that's also valid for Nikon and Canon concerning their DSLR APS-C program.

For a moment I was considering switching to APS-C because of the weight of my present Sony FE outfit and I quickly came to the conclusion that Fuji X and Samsung NX were the only viable options for me precisely because they both seem committed to APS-C only and offer premium lenses for it. Of course you never know how that will be tomorrow. Especially Fuji has an excellent lens line-up in terms of available focal lengths, lens speeds and image quality IMHO. However, checking on weight and size revealed that I wouldn't gain anything by switching to Fuji and Samsung's lens line-up is not as impressive yet as Fuji's. Also Panasonic and Olympus both have µ4/3 fast standard zooms, both being committed to µ4/3 only so far, further proving my thesis.

Bought a more suitable bag instead BTW, it's much cheaper than switching systems. :).

Just my opinion of course.

• Like Like x 1
  8. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi Dave,
    how do you define good light?
    Alex

9. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for sharing this. There are times I think of buying a dslr body with the lens I want.. That would be an option I guess
    Alex

10. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    It's not s bad idea for you. Dslr has been around longer so there are many many options for a used rig for cheap. The Sony system is still young and somewhat incomplete for your needs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks DigitalD, that also where I am getting to... To be honest I think that any time we praise the sony system (and I think it has many advantages) we should also include what we think as negatives (so that we have a "full" list). That could also help sony see what else the community requires.

For my DSLR Body I shoul see where I should go canon, nikon,.. or even sony

Regards
    Alex

12. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Honestly the Sony E mount system, as I see it, is sort of an early adopters system still. So dabbling in it either means making some sacrifices and/or spending/losing money. If you sign up you have to be willing to adapt. Pun intended.

Most people ignore this point when criticising the e mount platform. Others embrace it and love it for what it is and what the potential will be in the years to come.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    We agree on each word you said.. My only fear is that it might not become of what I want it to be..... (Sony does not have any reason to serve me :p and most probably would try to develop what their market needs.. I am not sure I am at this big part of the market... what you think on that?)

Regards
    Alex

14. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    I think within the next few years it will be. Now it's up to you if you can wait [emoji6]