Oops! Won a Minolta 85/2 on eBay...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by addieleman, Feb 24, 2013.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I swallowed long and hard and put down a bid on this one... and I won! And now I hope it'll work well on my NEX-6 as a medium telephoto that I can use hand-held. I already practiced with my MD 100/2.5 and with some care that works out, most difficult is focussing accurately with the viewfinder image jumping up and down. It was either this one or the Sony SEL 55-210mm, but I'm not sure I'll want to invest in native E-mount lenses anymore, I've got the feeling that I'll stick with µ4/3 for indoor snapshots and casual shooting on the go because I still can't live with the 6's struggling AF in lower light. And after all the Minolta is suitable for both systems.

And now the customary wait begins :frown:.

NMKYtyESBkZs136075740786P5913.

Attached Files:

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Congrats Ad :thumbup:

Patiently waiting to hear your review with the MD as well ;)

3. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    Congratulations.

4. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Will do some sort of review, I promise. Hopefully I'll get it before next weekend and weather permitting I'll give it a go asap.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Enjoy, hope to see some good shots soon.

6. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    WooooW. Congratulations, this is one of the best Mintoltas ever made if reviews are to be trusted...

7. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Well, I had a Rokkor 85/2 before and that one wasn't much better on my GH2 than the MD 100/2.5 at corresponding f-stops and I didn't like it wide-open on the GH2 (didn't have a NEX at that time). I went for it now because 100mm on APS-C doesn't do it for me and I hope the extra f-stop is a real bonus. The 100mm has to be stopped down to f/4 for optimum sharpness and I expect the 85mm to be sharp at f/2.8 on the NEX-6. All speculation, we'll see.

8. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Can't promise that, I'm totally uninspired these days due to the cold, unpleasant, gloomy weather and barren vegetation. I barely went out to do some test shots of my new Sigma 30/2.8 (very good BTW). A nice flu didn't really help either :(.

9. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Tsst Tsst enough excuses. If you have nothing to shoot, go to the local pound and adopt a cat. Et voilà ;) !

10. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    No thanks, we already have a dog :).

11. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    congrats mate look forward to seeing the first shots with this lens :)

12. ponyslaystation

ponyslaystation TalkEmount Regular

Oct 20, 2012
    I don't understand why you would pick this instead of a Rokinon 85 f/1.4 that is sharp wide open.

13. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Then there's your subject !

14. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I am going to buy Samyang 85mm/1.4 some time. I think that it delivers excellent images with reasonable price. However Minolta 85mm/2
    is very good and compact (276 g) as the Samyang is 513 g. As the Minolta isn't cheap I think that Samyang is better choise for me,

For portrait work sharpness isn't everything. Wide open slightly soft 85mm may be excellent choice. Of course the lens would be more versatile if it would sharpen up at 2.8 or so.

15. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I've been toying with the idea of grabbing a Nikkor 105mm f/2.5. Awesome lens and cheap. Not a lightweight though at over 400g.

16. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The Minolta 85mm is smaller, lighter, somewhat cheaper and I don't like to mix mounts. Moreover, the Rokinon 85/1.4 is good indeed wide-open but I think I'll still want to stop down and then the Minolta 85/2 wide-open might be just as good. From what I read the Rokinon needs to be stopped down to f/2.8 to become really good and that holds for the Minolta as well.

17. clockwork247

clockwork247 TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 31, 2012

the canon 85 1.8 around 300 used (the af version with USM), i think that might be the best 85mm deal out there... I'm thinking about getting it since I have a extra canon body, and I'm kindda liking these 85s... I also own the Minolta MC 85 1.7... it's a nice lens for portrait, it really pop out the subject, hard to focus though since the dam DOF is so thin. I missed focus like 5/10 when I'm outside in sun light (can't see without an EVF).

18. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Nikon's 85 f/1.8 is pretty killer too. I'd like to have one for my D7000 and to also use with my NEX but I have a Tamron 90mm already so I kinda don't want to get the 85mm since the focal lengths are so close. But then again, the 85mm is a bit smaller so when I don't need macro, the 85mm would be great to fill in for a lighter walk around lens. There's just some other stuff I'd like to get before I blow $350+ on the 85mm lens.