• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

OOOO! A Zoom guy's dream!

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I think it is likely the max aperture is what really blew it up. Because yeah, physics. The other Tamron's I have used are usually pretty light, though, I think because they tend to use other lighter materials instead of metal. We will see.

Brownie

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Tim
The question is, how much of the zoom range is at f2?

But is only of academic interest to me, having bought the Tamron 17-70 and 70-180 f2.8 lenses. And having 30, 50 and 85 primes which are faster. That's it for me, until I can take the plunge on the 135/1.8.
Here you go.

E_eza88UYAUWSnN.jpg
   ---            

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Thanks. If we think of it as 2.8 with everything wider being bonus, that seems pretty good to me. Even if it is 1Kg-plus.

Anyway, I have 17-70 (APS-C) and 70-180 2.8s. I'm not in the market for this. But for guy who wants to have an all-in-one over his shoulder, it looks great. As long as he has a strong shoulder!

I might have been in the market, if it had been there when I bought the other two Tamron zooms, but I'm glad it wasn't, as I find myself using around 17-30 the most on the smaller zoom. (and 100-180 on the larger. My 60 and 85 1.8 primes still see a lot of use, and I still hope to add the 135)

Brownie

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Thanks. If we think of it as 2.8 with everything wider being bonus, that seems pretty good to me. Even if it is 1Kg-plus.

Anyway, I have 17-70 (APS-C) and 70-180 2.8s. I'm not in the market for this. But for guy who wants to have an all-in-one over his shoulder, it looks great. As long as he has a strong shoulder!

I might have been in the market, if it had been there when I bought the other two Tamron zooms, but I'm glad it wasn't, as I find myself using around 17-30 the most on the smaller zoom. (and 100-180 on the larger. My 60 and 85 1.8 primes still see a lot of use, and I still hope to add the 135)
I'm reevaluating it myself. The wide end is too narrow and it's large. I would prefer something 16-20 on the wide end, and it doesn't need to go to 150, even though that's a nice range. I do need something fast though, so an F4 won't cut it. 2.8 is minimum for the application.

Brownie

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Pre-order today. 1600 Euros or 1900 U.S. I was hoping for 1600 U.S. but had pretty much decided against it anyway for reasons stated above. Still, if the IQ is that good it'd replace a lot of primes for some folks.

Latest threads

Top Bottom