One of Natures big, striking, no nonsense birds up close & personal: Red Bellied Woodpecker

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Jan 31, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Canon FDn 400/4.5 on NEX-7, ISO200, Center Metering, AP mode, F6.8, 1/100

• Like Like x 18
  2. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    I can almost hear him think "hey look, seeds! Yes seeds!"

Great captures of a nice animal.

• Like Like x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    LOL...yes, and the first few shots he looks like he's trying to decide which one to get

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Those are very nice RB. The background seperation really works well here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Yes truly magnificent pics. Im looking forward to the instructional;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    "...looking forward to the instructional..."
    Not sure what you mean...didn't do anything special...he showed up and I shot him, LOL
    This is what I was using:
    Canon FDn 400/4.5 on an NEX-7, ISO200, Center Metering, AP mode, F6.8, 1/100

7. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Your lightlevels have been just a touch higher than here;) The best I could get away with was 1/60 @ f/5,6 and iso 1250 (180mm ais+ tc201) and 1/200@3200iso with a sprinkle of flash. Had to use high iso to get the flash out there through a whit showercurtain. Blackbirds are not that good subjects :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sela69

Sela69 New to TalkEmount

Nice bird and congrats for the capture !

• Like Like x 1
  9. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I tried to do something similar. Put some logs etc on the ground outside our livingroom, last years xmas tree as backdrop and made a TFS (Time for seeds) contract :) Only bird responding so far was a blackbird. Maybe I shouldn't shoot though a three layer energy glass as I don't think it does anything good for sharpness. Distance using a 300mm f/4,5 was around 3m but lightlevels was very low resulting in high iso and slow shutterspeed taking more from sharpness.

• Like Like x 1
  10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    If I understand your setup correctly, I'm surprised a 300mm would even focus as close as 3m...and if it did, the almost non-existent DOF might explain the lack of sharpness. Here's a quick snapshot of DOF from an online calculator.....basically DOF / zone of focus would only be about 1" - 1.5".

11. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Just to make your great shots stand out even more
    A6000 AIS 300mm F/4,5 @ 1/200sec ISO 3200 wide open. A touch of flash from right.

034resized.

• Like Like x 2
  12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Wonder if a shorter focal length lens might be worth a try?
    More DOF at that close distance of 10 feet to get the rest of the bird in the zone, plus they're probably a couple stops faster.
    Something like a 50, 85, or 135...then afterwards go into the file and crop off the edges so the bird subject comes up larger / closer ?

13. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Im working on an elevated natural looking portable feeding stand/post/something to place according to shooting position and background and looking more aggresively for a metabones adapter suplier that wont let me down. I did some unscientific testing of my old 300mm and the 180+TC201 and have now ditched the 300mm. The effective 360mm of the 180+TC201 is capable of producing satisfactory sharp images a couple of stops down, at least to my eyes. Would like a tripod adapter on the TC but maybe the one on the metabones will do. Only problem to solve is how to get the flash out there, its needed as the lightlevels here are mostly low this time of the year.
    Bes regards

14. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    So when done I just need to earn some stars in the birdchelin guide to attract customers.

15. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Be interesting to see what the 180 would do by itself...good luck either way.
    I've occasionally use a 2x tele-converter but don't like losing the 2 stops of light / 2 stops of speed that they cause.
    I experimented with it on a very bright sunny day, and again at night shooting moon shots with spot metering right on the moon's bright light and in those cases got good results...but didn't like the short comings in low light situations....rarely use it.

16. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

Nice group. It's a "her" isn't it? (Commenting on the Red bellied).