on1 Raw 2018 - do you use it?

addieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
I tried On1 recently but abandoned it almost immediately when I discovered it didn't have a lens profile for the Loxia 2/35, a lens that's been around for ages. I didn't check my other lenses, I'll wait some time before I try again. I'm interested in On1 because it offers the option of working with layers without blowing up the filesizes like in Photoshop.

Plaatje

TalkEmount Rookie
Interestingly the few photo's that I've processed in both On1 and, Luminar 3 have come up much better in On1. It seems easier to get much sharper images with better colour rendition.

As they say “ that’s only true if you can prove it with photos “.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
I'm interested in On1 because it offers the option of working with layers without blowing up the filesizes like in Photoshop.
Maybe I asked before, but have you tried Capture One recently? Layers have really been enhanced lately. I am hoping they add the ability to add another photo as a layer soon so I could do e.g. focus stacking, (though I believe there is a plugin for Helicon now).

addieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
Maybe I asked before, but have you tried Capture One recently? Layers have really been enhanced lately. I am hoping they add the ability to add another photo as a layer soon so I could do e.g. focus stacking, (though I believe there is a plugin for Helicon now).
I tried Capture One several times but did not get captured by it: at the time I tried, it didn't offer the option to make your own lens profiles which was essential for me at the time because I regularly used legacy lenses. It also didn't offer an easy way to make your own camera profiles, which I guess is possible now because the X-rite Colorchecker Passport is able to produce ICC profiles.

I have played around with Capture One somewhat more than superficially and while initially I was impressed by the imagery, on a closer look I decided I liked the Lightroom results equally well. Capture One is quite pricey too if you don't want to be limited to Sony-only or Fuji-only versions. Maybe I'll switch one day if Adobe does something with price or functionality of Lightroom and Photoshop I can't live with; so far I don't have a real reason to leave Lightroom/Photoshop and I am really not looking forward to the learning curve of other photo editors.

DaveC

TalkEmount Veteran
Below is my best effort with Luminar 3, I've no doubt that others may be able to get a better result.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

& the same image using On1.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The On1 processed image is closer to what I recall seeing as I took the shot. It is probably possible to get near identical outcomes for the image from both programs, but I spent similar time doing similar adjustments on both, and prefer the On1 shot.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom