1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

on1 Raw 2018 - do you use it?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by orlcam88, Mar 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. orlcam88

orlcam88 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 24, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Anyone uses on1 Raw 2018? Is it a good replacement to LR? What are your thoughts?

2. orlcam88

Dec 24, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I'll answer my own questions on this as I tried it out. It's not ready to be a replacement of LR. There are a few items missing to be able to say that its a replacement. For example, it doesn't have a perspective adjustment; no plugins other than it itself can be plugin to CC & LR and can't export to external web photo hosting sites. It does do more than things than lightroom that I need plugins for but that wasn't enough of a replacement.

3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Thanks for that. Wasn't enthusiastic enough to try ON1 Raw after my experience with their ON1 Effects 10. The interface is buggy and it would only work on my Intel system and would consistently crash/hang on my AMD desktops in Win7 or Win10. Some of their filters were quite nice and they provide free plug-ins sometimes from their site, but the shortcomings didn't impress.

• Like Like x 1
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I tried ON1 Raw and immediately uninstalled it when it appeared to lack the profile for the Loxia 2/35, wasn't prepared to investigate any further like @orlcam88@orlcam88 did. The Loxia 2/35 is around for some time now so should have been incorporated, even though I don't really need a profile for it. I'll give it another try in a year or so.

5. Golfhacker27

Golfhacker27 TalkEmount Regular

May 15, 2016
    This review makes an interesting comparison of the quality of the raw processing of on1 vs LR vs a couple of others. Makes a good case for on1.

It is mostly comparing Fuji RAW files, but has some comparative info on Sony files too.

I have just downloaded the free trial of on1, since I am using LR standard (not monthly subscription) and starting to look for a replacement.

Fuji Raw Processors Compared: There's a Lot More To It Than Image Quality

6. johnson4096

johnson4096 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 23, 2016
    Dan Johnson
    I tried it for a short time. The program is even slower than Lightroom and neither is as good as DxO Photo, which has been my go to Sony RAW editor/developer for a couple years. I guess I could speed it up if I bought a new computer but I refuse to upgrade hardware for any program for which a more reasonable alternative exists.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 4, 2015
    I gave up on it also, there were features they had previously, like the quick mask, that were left out of the RAW 2017 version. And it was unstable, slow and buggy. I'm using DxO PhotoLab mostly, with Lightroom, and sometimes Luminar 2018 for the filters (not raw development).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Golfhacker27

Golfhacker27 TalkEmount Regular

May 15, 2016
    Having played with my on1 trial today, I was disappointed. As others have pointed out, it is slow and has virtually no plug in options.
    Had overlooked DXO - will check it out.

• Like Like x 1
  9. orlcam88

Dec 24, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I think this needs a year or so to be called a LR replacement. I downloaded it because it said it was a LR replacement. They do make updates frequently so maybe in a few months? for now, it's not the option.

10. orlcam88

Dec 24, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    That was the other issue. It didn't have profiles for 2 of the Sony lenses I was using: FE 100-400mm GM OSS and the FE 24-105mm. I could understand the latter as it's fairly new but the former has been around for a few months.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. orlcam88

Dec 24, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I downloaded DxO right after I uninstalled on1. How do you like DxO? I tried editing one photo but I need more time with the software to get use to it. The adjustments seem to be much stronger than LR as it only needs very little movement otherwise it goes to extremes. I haven't checked if it takes plugins. It does have the lens profiles for the lenses I use which is a plus.

12. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    I quite like some of the features and the fact that everything is in one package.
    As has been mentioned, there's still a few things missing from the package.
    I've been an Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom user since they first burst upon the scene so its taking longer to get my head round a different workflow.

I've been trying alternative editing software packages lately.
    Affinity Photo is almost a Photoshop clone but in a nicer to look at package and at a really good price.
    Luminar is another alternative package that's quite good.
    My mate bought it and I got one of his licenses ;) 

Not ready to say bye bye to Adobe just yet but its good to see that they have some competition these days

• Like Like x 1
  13. orlcam88

Dec 24, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for those 2. I'll have to look into those as I've never heard of them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mstphoto

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. mstphoto

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen

16. DaveC

DaveC TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2017
    Just wondering if anyone is using On1 Raw 2019, looks quite interesting, but I'm a bit gun shy after the Luminar 3 debacle. I've had a bit of a look online, and there doesn't seem to be much feedback, so thought I would toss the query out here.

17. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I tested a few different RAW editors over the last month or so. I thought about switching but in the end I decided to stick with Capture One. Had I switched I think it would have been to On1. It had all the tools we've come to expect, as well as some nice extras though I had to look at tutorials to realize they were there (probably true for any unfamiliar software). I got some pretty good results when comparing the same photo processed in C1 with my usual adjustments, though I think C1 did a better job with the initial settings when first opening the RAW photo. I would say On1 is worth installing for the trial (I think it was 30 days) and giving it a workout. In the end we all need to use what gets the results we want in a way that we are comfortable with. I for one am glad we still have a lot of choices.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DaveC

DaveC TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2017
    I decided to download the 30 day trial of On1Raw 2019, and so far I quite like what I'm seeing. It will take a bit of learning to make the most of it but it seems to work well for me so far. I would still use Luminar 3 if it worked but the difference at this time is night and day. On1 launches in under 10 seconds on my machine, Luminar 3 takes over 2 1/2 minutes with exactly the same folders cataloged. In many ways it seems very lightroom like, but to me the slider controls seem easier to fine tune. It also does layers, but this is not something that I've had a chance to explore. A nice feature is that it recognised keywords from my Lightroom cataloging without any prompting on my part. It will also they claim but I've not yet tried import copies of photo's adjusted to match the adjustments made in Lightroom. Pricing is quite tempting at the moment, I will keep trying it out and see how I go.

19. DaveC

DaveC TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2017
    Well I've been giving On1 2019 a go for a bit over a week now and have found that for most of my work it seems to perform quite well. I particularly like its ability to look/preview all photo's on my computer without necessarily having to import them into a catalog. It also seems to handle multi-shot panorama's without any drama. I still haven't played with layers, masks and quite a few other tools. Photo adjustment seems very LR like, but interestingly I have found it easier to do small adjustments of the slider controls than either LR6 or Luminar. Given the reduced pricing they offered (US$70), I've actually gone and bought it, so fingers crossed it all works out ok. At least it works, unlike the current issue of Luminar.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DaveC

DaveC TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2017
    Still liking On1 for my photo processing and organising. This week they released On1 2019.5 as a major upgrade, free to registered On1 2019 users. Haven't done much with it yet other than import and install. Interestingly the few photo's that I've processed in both On1 and, Luminar 3 have come up much better in On1. It seems easier to get much sharper images with better colour rendition.

• Informative Informative x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.